Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Vacation Part 4

Our next stop was Yosemite National Park which was widely photographed in black and white by Ansel Adams. During the course of his life, Ansel Adams, dedicated himself to the preservation of wilderness areas and wildlife. At the end of this post, I will show just a few of my black and white photos.
This was our first look at some of the famous landmarks of this beautiful park. On the right you can see Bridal Veil Falls, on the left the huge grey monolith is El Capitan, and in the middle you can see Half Dome.
A reminder that this is a wilderness filled with wild animals. We did get a glimpse of a baby brown bear as it ran across the street in front of our bus.
We took many trail walks and at the base of one of the mountains, came upon this beautiful creature. I took this with a zoom lens!
We saw this fellow on another trail. Again, zoom lens to the rescue--I was not anywhere near to this snake as it looks. Later on I looked him up in a guidebook I saw in the gift shop--nonpoisonous California Mountain King Snake. Now enjoy a few black & whites while I prepare to take you to our next stop.
Our next stop was at a lovely winery in the Napa Valley wine country of California. In addition to a tour of the facility and the history of wine making, we were treated to a lovely lunch:
Normally, I don't care for duck, but this was really delicious with all the fresh veggies and fresh baked bread.
Got in a little macro practice! The flowers were so beautiful and so inspiring--I'm sure some of them will find their way into my beaded creations:
The flowers seemed to have such intense color!

Join me next time for a visit to San Francisco and hear about the day I went to Jail!






11 comments:

Melissa said...

My FIL caught my nephew a CalKingSnake and they keep it in the garage - it is quite a personable fellow - but I wouldn't haven't gotten close either.

When we were in the Mojave C ran up to a stream and stopped - look a snake!! On the other side of the stream was a 3-foot long rattler!! Sigh - she wasn't even slightly scared.

Beautiful black and whites!! Particularly the first and third.

craftattack said...

Beautiful photos, looks like you had a great vacation. Thanks for sharing. Valerie

Lori said...

Gorgeous Photos Deb...What a great vacation you had... so many different places. Yosemite was one of my favortie places to visit when I lived in Tahoe. Beautiful!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh didn't you just love the wine country? One of my favorite places on earth!

see you there! said...

Napa Valley is in my part of the world, that is the road (Highway 29) I drive back and forth between the Bay and the Mts. I enjoy it when others vacation here and I can read what they thought about it.

Darla

IrelandBrady said...

You are certainly having a wonderful vacation! Your photos are just great along with your narratives.

Bird of Paradise flowers are my hubby's favorite flower ... those are beauties!

Looking forward to your San Francisco visit and the day you went to jail? Did you perchance visit "The Rock"?

Magic Love Crow said...

Jail??? I am glad they didn't leave you in there! LOL!
Yucky snake! I would have been running! LOL!
The flower pictures are gorgeous! And, I love the black and white photos! Everything is amazing my friend! Can't wait to her about you in jail ;o)

New End Studio said...

Beautiful part of the country and your photos are terrific. Looks like a lot of fun. Zoom away, far away from the snake!

Makeiteasycrafts.blogspot.com said...

Wonderful photos! I can't wait for my vacation to southern California is in September. :-)

Mina said...

Oh, what gorgeous photos! I'll bet the beaded work these inspire will be breathtaking. I love Ansel Adam's photography myself. Thank you so much for sharing this warm and special time. Hugs, sweetie.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You put Ansel Adams to shame with these gorgeous black and white photos. Looks like you also pulled out all the stops (F even) with both your telephoto and macro lenses! Had to laugh that the photo of the sign in the road was something I would take, too.

As someone who also lives in "cold country," your photo reminded me that I bought a bird of paradise one year and kept it alive several years indoors. They are such majestic plants.

Thanks for taking me on your trip. I am having as much fun seeing these photos as you had living it! I can't wait to see how the next "chapter" unfolds. Do I need to send bail money (grin)?