Monday, August 13, 2012

Mail Art & Gourds

I received some beautiful mail art from a blog friend a few days ago and thought I'd share it here...
Terrie is a very creative person who takes part in a lot of challenges and also likes to experiment with new techniques. She has a fun blog that I enjoy visiting, and I always learn so much from her. For instance I have just learned that she is an amazing photographer, too! This is a postcard of her original photo (Sorry I don't have a scanner to use, but trust me it is vivid and beautiful!) taken of a Japanese Garden in Montreal. It really made me smile when I received it!

My garden is not doing that well this year. Last summer at this time we had so many cucumbers I was sharing them weekly with all the neighbors. We have had about 6 or 7 so far, most of which I would be embarrassed to show you since they looked more like large pickles than cucumbers. I did check the pack and they are definitely supposed to be full size cucumbers. I am also trying to grow birdhouse gourds this year and while the vines have taken over, I only have two right now. Maybe that is normal? I never tried before. Anyway, here they are:

I'm staying optimistic that they will "ripen" since there still is a reasonable length of growing time left.

Have you ever tried growing gourds? Any luck? Does anyone think it might be a good idea to cut the vines back since they aren't producing so the strength goes to the gourds? I've tried to research this online, but haven't found this specific topic addressed.



11 comments:

Beadwright said...

You know I was drawn to your gourds. They are so pretty at this stage. Leave them alone. The will start to dry soon. We harvest ours after the first frost. If your gourds have dried on the vine it is ok to harvest.
Nothing like growing your own gourds.
Nicole/Beadwright

Beadwright said...

PS you know the flowers open at night.
Nicole/Beadwright

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

Wow- the gourds look great. And two is better than none!

: )

I've never tried growing them so I'm no help in the advice department but it looks so cool- maybe I'll try next season. I had pumpkins this year. They are flowering like mad but still haven't had a single pumpkin start...

: (

It's looking like no home grown jack-o-lanterns this year.

craftattack said...

Lovely mail art from Terrie.Sorry, I can't help you with garden questions, I kill off everything without wanting to! Valerie

Jenny Woolf said...

To me, gourds always look a bit unreal. I've never grown them although I once grew pumpkins

Melissa said...

My gourds from last year are still waiting in the garage to clean them up...

Magic Love Crow said...

Hey Deb, the picture of the Japanese Garden is gorgeous!
I have to tell you, I was laughing at your large pickles! Actually, I still am! LOL! Especially when you said you checked the pack! LOL! You are so cute! I am sorry, I know nothing about gourds. I am anxious to see what happens with them ;o) Take Care ;o)

Kokopelli said...

What a beautiful art postcard!
Cucumbers are tricky to grow. This year we have lots of cucumbers, as they had enough water and warmth at the same time. Gourds always need lots of compost. We turned to growing them on 100% compost as they need it to grow. Cutting the vines is also good in the last third of growing time, so the gourds ripen and the plant stops putting all the strength in growing vines.

New End Studio said...

I've never tried growing either one, but they do look healthy! Maybe the weather was just not what they needed?

Faerie Moon Creations said...

What a lovely postcard! The image is beautiful. Look at those gourds - I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. :) Our tomatoes are just starting to come in now - but we have TONS of green beans. They are taking over my freezer. Thankfully, I LOVE them - so they've been incorporated in lots of our dinners!

Mina said...

Beautiful images! We grow gourds (in fact, I will tell you a secret that I have not posted yet. I have an article coming out in the autumn issue of the pagan living ezine on gourds) ssshhhhh. ;-)

That vine will continue to grow "out". If you go ahead and cut it off, it will make all the nutrients go to the gourds themselves. Hugs sweetie!