Monday, August 6, 2012

AB Lesson 14

Zippers? Who would have thought you could put a zipper in a book? Well, at least not me who is so new to the altered art world. But, leave it to Elizabeth in this latest lesson to show us how! Please note that Elizabeth switched the lessons around due to a huge project she was committed to with a deadline, so Lesson 13 will be shown next time. Oh, by the way, if you get a chance, go see the amazing project she did with buttons! Now onto my results:
Here is a full look at my Alaska spread. I started out by applying gesso to both pages, then drew a totem pole (based on one in our home) on the left & trees on the right with watercolor pencils. Then I went over both pages again with gesso. I added some magazine clippings of totem poles on the left and called that page finished. On the right side, I put "matching" or is that "opposing" images of eagles, moose, and two Eskimo girls on each side of the zipper.
Since my book is small, I could only peel back one side of the zipper, but you can still see plenty of the image I placed behind it.
Here is a close-up of the zipper fob I made out of shrink plastic. I outlined it in black thin sharpie and colored it with my Prismacolor pencils before shrinking.

I'm really happy with the result, and just in case anyone is interested, I used double sided carpet tape (because we had it in the house) to attach my zipper. I actually cut the piece in half because it was very wide. It seems to be holding well, and as long as care is taken when I unzip the page, I think it will be fine.













18 comments:

Beadwright said...

Very cleaver. This is so good. Makes me home sick. Naaahhh I am done with snow. haa ha ha
This is really beautiful.
Nicole/Beadwright

Terry said...

Oh wow, I never would have thought to use a zipper either. Looks great.

Roxanne said...

Wow a zipper?!?! How interesting a neat! Love it.

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, this is wicked!!! I love this so much!!! You should make some cards this way! A zipper!! Who would have thought? So cool!!!

Magic Love Crow said...

I forgot to say, nice nails ;o) I have to stop biting mine! LOL!

Knock Knock Street said...

I didn't know you could zip a book.
Very nice!!

craftattack said...

This is really impressive, just love the zip in your journal, fantastic idea! Valerei

Makeiteasycrafts.blogspot.com said...

That is just so cool to use a zipper in the book! :-)

Melissa said...

The zipper is such a truly cool idea - it has my creative juices flowing!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Debbie, I don't know where to begin. First, thank you for leaving a link to my button tutorial. Second, I have been offline all day because my ISP was down. I even called the company, and got a recording saying service was out in my area. I was just now able to get back online.

After you mentioned carpet tape, I realized I could use it, since I also am sure I have some. Sadly, I had no time to work on it, since I was so wrapped up in the other project.

I really like how you created this zipper project. It is super. I really like how you treated the back side of the zipper, too. It is so well constructed. I so appreciate it when the mechanics are covered.

I also liked the opposing animals and birds, too. You did a super job decorating both the outside and inside of the spread.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was afraid if I left too long a message, it wouldn't go through, so I decided to break this into two comments.

As I started thinking of this next lesson, I envision you using beads instead of buttons to decorate the page edge. I just wanted to give you an idea of what you might be thinking of using for the lesson in two weeks.

New End Studio said...

Terrific totems and I like the zipper usage and how you put something on each side and behind it. Fabulous!

Dawn said...

Ooh Debbie, what fab zipper pages. Lol, girl after my own heart with the totems, I love them too as well as statues. I am so impressed with how neat your work with the zipper is, well done honey, brilliant job.
Big hugs x x x x

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

That zipper is the cherry on the coke float!

see you there! said...

You did a terrific job with the zipper. I also like the effect of the gesso over the drawing.

Darla

BJ said...

I adore your zip page. Your paper certainly looks more flexible than mine and know what you mean about only the one side moving really. The zip fob really finishes off a great page. BJ

Faerie Moon Creations said...

This is really great! I love the zipper - makes it very eye-catching. And the Alaska fob is so sweet!

paulaexuk said...

Hope this doesn't post twice but we just had a power cut for the second I hit publish LOL. Great spread I love the ethnic feel to the totem pole side and it is adorable the feeling that the moose on the outside of the zipper seem to call to the moose inside. I too love the shrink plastic "Alaska".