Monday, August 20, 2012

AB Lesson 13

Energy and persistence conquer all things. --Benjamin Franklin

Before I show you the latest progress on my AB, I want to thank everyone who left such lovely comments on Friday. They were much appreciated!

I was really getting annoyed with my inside cover. Remember I used a sheet of tyvek paper that I painted. Every time I opened the book, the pages stuck together and peeled away some more color. I found some paper decorated with a train theme & stuck it on top. It's better.
Lesson 13 is all about windows and doors. I did not get a chance to make a page with a door, but since that is relatively straight forward, I will go back and do that another time.

As usual, Elizabeth's tutorial was well written and easy to understand. The only hard part was trying to fit it into my theme: travel. Oh, I know, there is the whole "window to the world" idea, but I wanted something different and more personal. It took nearly the two weeks since the lesson was posted, but I finally came up with the perfect idea....I thought of a porthole on a cruise ship. If you have cruised, you know they are no longer those little round, semi-claustrophic, portholes, but rather more like a large square or rectangle. I wanted to illustrate on the left page things about the pampered life aboard ship--although we've never had a room this luxurious! I included pictures of 3 ships we have been on. Even though the card stock I used was of a piece of luggage, it reminded me of the walls of some cabins we've been in.
On the right page I have highlighted some of the places that became accessible to us by cruising. Of course, there are many more..but my pages is just so big!
Note how when the window is covering each page, the words around the perimeter of the page are not visible:
The window is a piece of heavy weight cellophane that was wrapped around some flowers. I'm not sure if you can make out in the picture, but it has tiny holes punched all over it. Of course, when I went to add the cardstock on the back side of the window, I forgot to sandwich it in between. Fortunately the glue had not dried yet, and I was able to gently pull it apart and fix it. Another tragedy averted!!

Thanks for stopping by to see my latest altered book page! My book still has a fair amount of pages left so I am confident that I will be able to finish out the course with this book. Only about 6 more classes left! I can't feel sad, though, because this book makes me so happy. I will just start another one when I am done!










14 comments:

paulaexuk said...

Two great window pages, I love the architecture page and how funny that you do the sort of thing I do, plan an item and then forget to do it in order. Luckily you could undo it.

Thank you for your suggestion about the carpet tape, I will try some.

craftattack said...

Great pages, with lots of ideas and details! Valerie

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

I like these pages a lot. It looks like it your was very well thought out and the the results are beautiful.
Looks like you've been to some really great places too!
: )

BJ said...

Great window and even better how it covers the words to be revealed when you turn the page. Well done. I have since added a beaded edge to my window page and blogged it too. This course is indeed fun isn't it? BJ

Beadwright said...

This is and has been such an adventure for you. Thank you for sharing it will us.
Nicole/Beadwright

Flowermouse Design said...

All that work!! How fun it must be to explore vacations in this way - and keep all the memories forever!! Great work again Debbie!!

Melissa said...

You are doing a great job sticking to this project...

elle said...

Your windows are lovely frames. I, too, am really enjoying my book.

Magic Love Crow said...

Fantastic Deb! Love the windows! And, I love the new paper with the train theme! Great job my friend ;o)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Tyvek is notorious for flaking and sticking together. That's why I sealed mine after I painted it. I learned the hard way that characteristic of Tyvek. I now try to use reinker ink when I want to color it. I like the way you repaired it, though. Very impressive and a great way to cover over a problem. There' nothing you can't fix with a little bit of glue and imagination.

I really MUST find my carpet tape. I know it's in the basement, but I haven't seen it since the movers dumped things in unmarked boxes when they returned things after my flood last winter.

This is a nicely done window, too. I like how you managed to insert the window before the glue dried. It really, REALLY sounds like something I would do. You have NO idea how many times I've started a project and discovered I've left out a step. I always try to let people know, too. I hate it when I have to do rework, but if my mistakes help anyone, then I'm always happy.

Can't wait to see your buttons!

New End Studio said...

I like your solution to the tyvek problem and your window frames having that extra when they are lifted- great idea.

Dawn said...

Oooh, love your window pages Debbie, so very inventive my lovely. You have some fab images on your pages, could I be rude enough to ask where you found them?
Big hugs x x x x

see you there! said...

Here I am at the back of the line again. I haven't been on the computer much lately. I really do like your windows page. I think it is wonderful that you are having so much fun with this project.

Darla

Lisa Criswell said...

you are really very talented. these are so visually interesting! nice work!