Friday, July 20, 2012

IA Challenge-Paris, France!

"Live your life the way you used to use your crayons: Let all the bright colors create a better day."-unknown

Hettiene's recent vacation to Paris has sparked the IA challenge this week. I've visited Paris and other parts of France several times and have always loved it. For me, it is the beautiful architecture and especially the bridges which make me fall in love with this city every time I visit. My favorite is the Pont Alexandre III. It is art nouveau style & covered with carvings and elaborate lanterns.
(Photo wikipedia)
There is a bridge in Springfield, Massachusetts that we pass when we go to our daughter's college that never fails to remind me of Pont Alexandre III, although it is nowhere near as ornate. It is called Memorial Bridge.
(Photo credit)
I had to broaden the topic to France in order to take part in this challenge...for France in the 1500s is where it is believed French Flower beading started. Peasants began collecting imperfect, discarded glass beads, stringing them on wire, and shaping them into flowers to be used mainly as memorial wreaths. Flowers were attached to ornate wire frames and placed on headstones. It wasn't long before these flowers were starting to be displayed in homes. It is rumored that Marie Antoinette collected them, as did Princess Grace and William Randolph Hearst.

Thanks for reading my mini history lesson of French Beaded Flowers. Here is what I have been working on this week:
Beaded Irises whose colors are modeled after real flowers.

Looking ahead to next week, I'm planning a giveaway on Tuesday!

Have a happy, creative weekend everyone!

14 comments:

New End Studio said...

Irises are beautiful! Interesting to hear how the artistry started.

see you there! said...

Iris are my favorite flowers and yours are amazing. Really enjoyed reading the history of your craft.

Darla

Makeiteasycrafts.blogspot.com said...

That is a very cool looking bridge. I've never been to france, maybe one day. I love your beaded fleur de lis! :-)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I adored the history lesson and the flowers. They are beautiful. I love irises, and these are truly realistic. And you have given me an idea for this challenge. Thanks for the push.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I adored the history lesson and the flowers. They are beautiful. I love irises, and these are truly realistic. And you have given me an idea for this challenge. Thanks for the push.

Sunshineshelle said...

Debbie thanks for the history lesson and I am floored by your beaded flowers as they are truly gorgeous, the colours are amazing too, I think I have only seen the blue in Queensland. My family is going OS for a wedding and we are staying in Paris for 3 days on the way home, I am so looking forward to the ART, the Lourve, Picasso museum hah, and the food LOL... We are so excited, my hubby has been to France before but it's a first for the girls and I, so seeing your post here has me all excited again! Have a great weekend!

Yvonne said...

Your pics of Paris bridges are beautiful!

Terry said...

Ooh, great beaded contribution. Very creative and so pretty.

Magic Love Crow said...

Debbie, how did I miss this post? Must have been because of the Oz party! Sorry I am late! You lucky duck! I have never been to Paris! One of my brother's has and he loved it! Thanks for the lesson on the French Flower beading. I never knew that? Really interesting how everything starts! Your new flowers are stunning!!! A+++ I hope you are having a great weekend! Hugs ;o)

kirstin mcculloch said...

Your irises are just incredible. Such amazing detail. Beautiful

craftattack said...

These flowers are just awesome, love them! Valerie

Hettienne said...

a lovely entry and post!! thank you!!

Mina said...

What an enchanting post. I have never traveled to Paris and would love to one day. The photos are gorgeous and I love your beading. So beautiful! Have a lovely week. Mina

MaRyKaY said...

those are beautiful and look complicated to make. great job just gorgeous