Thursday, July 19, 2012

Artist's Play Room

Make art while the sun shines.--craftymoose

This week Jenn's challenge in the Artist's Play Room called for Pears. Now I have to admit I don't particularly like them; but never having drawn them, I was game to try. I told Jenn it was going to be an experiment, and I would show it for better or worse.

So why the silly quote above? Because I decided to try an experiment with melting crayons using the sun.

Yesterday was one of the hottest, 96 degrees F (35 C) days we have had. I lightly drew the outline of a pear on a blank art card and filled it in with crayon shavings, using a pencil sharpener. When I thought I had enough I put it outside, sure that it would be melted in no time flat. After all, I was, just walking outside to put it in the sun! Fast forward about 4 hours later & the crayons weren't even trying to melt. Now it was starting to look like the promised afternoon thunderstorm, so I went out to rescue the card. I wasn't letting any pear get the best of me, so my next idea was a hair dryer. Note to self: Buy a heat gun. The hair dryer even on low blew any loose shaving all around. By this time I had had it and was ready to ditch this whole idea and move on to some more cooperative fruit...And then, it hit me--my toaster over that I use for polymer clay. It took literally moments to melt the crayon, I applied a bit more shavings, and ta da!
Let me make a little disclaimer...I heated this in the toaster oven at a low temperature on a silicone sheet and watched it constantly so the paper did not burn. If you decide to try something similar, you can probably find the real directions on how to do this on the web somewhere.

Thanks for the inspiration, Jenn!







19 comments:

see you there! said...

Clever you! Like your pear. I am surprised the crayon didn't melt outside, guess they are made of sterner stuff than I thought they were.

Darla

Beadwright said...

Good idea on the toaster oven. I have owned a heat gun for 25 years and would not be without one. My first one was from our contruction company. Now you can buy them in any range. Plus they are fun!!
Nicole/Beadwright

Jenny Woolf said...

That's really creative and original, Debbie. If it was me I'd be guaranteed to get distracted from the oven. After all I do it all the time with our food :D

VonnyK said...

You sound like you were having a day like mine with the pear but you got there in the end. It looks fantastic and the colours are fabulous. Very clever to melt crayons.
Von.

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, I was laughing! I can just see you running around trying all of these things and pulling your hair out at the same time! Oh, you blowing the loose shavings around, really made me laugh, sorry! LOL! I have to admit, I am glad you stuck with it, because I think your pear is very funky! I like it a lot! Well done!

Serena Lewis said...

OH, very clever technique and looks great too!

Jennifer McLean said...

this is adorable, i love it's simplicity. I've wanted to try crayon melting or even watercolor shavings then add water but I haven't got either supply, I'd need woodless watercolor pencils and they're on the "Next" list, lol. THanks for the inspiration, it looks fab!

Tracy said...

What a pearfectly awesome idea! Crayons are hearty little things. Love it! Warmly, Tracy APR#10

Flowermouse Design said...

Hilarious!!! This is what I call a real artist!! I have tried crayons in polymer clay and it makes a real good effect too.... I love your pear - so fresh. And right out of the oven. LOL!!!

New End Studio said...

I like your pear and the determination to get it done!

You've inspired me to try something like this and since I don't have a second toaster oven, I'm going to see what happens with an iron. No heat gun yet, either.

P.S. Peeled and sliced pears with a little cinnamon sprinkled on them are tasty.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Am I the only one who couldn't get on Blogger yesterday? Very frustrating, since I could get on other blogs and web sites, just not BLOGGER.

Yep, you need a heat gun. Get one that doesn't blow things around. I have two I got at JoAnn's, but both are the same. Noisy and blow EP around. I like how you didn't let that pear intimidate you. Good for you. And it held its shape much better than when I tried to make a pumpkin one year using my warming tray.

Gloria said...

How cool! I have never tried melting crayons. How would you have done it with a heat gun? Couldn't you use an iron?

Alice said...

pretty cool! i enlarged the pic so i could really see the melted crayons - it's awesome! great job!

Cottage Remnant said...

How very clever of you....great job!

blessings,
Cindy♥

Lou Anne said...

What an imaginative way to create a pear! Nice job improvising too.

Rita said...

I never would have thought of that. Your pear turned out really colorful and unique! Nice! :)

Neesie said...

And I thought I had a challenge Debbie...but you really went for it didn't you?
Your idea and execution show's how committed you are to the APR which is inspiring to say the least!
But I'm so glad that all your efforts came to 'fruitition' (oh dear ~ sorry couldn't help that)
I love it...it's so bright and colourful ;D
Have a super Sunday ~ enjoy! Neesie (APR #17)

Tracey Fletcher King said...

I am thinking that me and a toaster over with any sort of art supplies would be a bad idea..... but I kind of want to try it after seeing this... loved your description... great fun...xx

minnemie said...

What a great idea - and outcome (despite the journey you had to get there:-) I think I may try the crayon-thing soon as well... note to self: don't use hair dryer.