Monday, July 9, 2012

AB Lesson 11

It's good to behold beauty and live with wisdom. --Yiddish proverb

Elizabeth has us creating pockets in Lesson 11. Not only did she show us many different ways to create pockets to hide all kinds of collected goodies, but she showed off lots of examples in AB's she has created.

One thing I learned during the entire process of making an AB is that book selection especially with respect to size of the book is important. While I don't think I am going to run out of pages, I do wish the dimensions of my book were larger. I know I am not alone in this, in fact, in a subsequent post, she presented an alternate way to make pockets. I really liked this example and thought it would work well for what I wanted to put in the pockets:
In keeping with my theme, I used different maps from our trips as the pockets. They seemed strong enough for the lightweight items I wanted to put in them.
Here are the pockets filled up with various ticket stubs, entry tickets, etc.
Elizabeth also showed how to make hidden pockets in two different styles. I did a spread highlighting our visit to the San Diego Zoo.
See the blue ribbon tab on the left page?
Ta Da! Some of the room keys on the trip were really pretty! I actually saved them all after hearing how handy they are to spread paint or glue, too! I drilled a small hole in the top & added a pretty ribbon so I could get it out of the pocket easily.

Thanks for visiting and all the nice comments!









11 comments:

see you there! said...

Nice pockets. Your idea of using the room key is very clever.

Darla

Magic Love Crow said...

Debbie, this is so cool!!! You are doing brilliant ;o)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

For my Four Seasons AB, I used an actual Four Seasons room key in one of my spreads. Like you, I punched a hole (I used a crop-a-dile) and added ribbon. Needless to say, I really loved that spread. After carefully inspecting it, I noticed how you had the trail meandering around the park, just like it really does. And the use of the Meercats in the center is brilliant.

You did a terrific job with the pockets, too. I know how frustrating it is to have pages in a book that aren't large enough. It can be frustrating. However, I think you have done a fantastic job with the pages you have. Remember, ephemera and tags can hang out of the top of your page, too.

BTW, did you visit Alcatraz? I have always wanted to go there.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I keep forgetting to ask. May I please add your blog to my left sidebar? If it's OK, please just leave a comment on my blog, since my e-mail is hinky (not a real word, but very appropriate).

BJ said...

Hi Debbie - super duper pockets, using the maps is cool. I used sticky ribbon across the tops of mine incase too much use made them tear. Always an option if you think the papers aren't sturdy enough.
As for book size, I am loving mine but to get any perspective, thought I best let you know the size. Each page is 6" x 9 1/4" (15.3cm x 22.8cm)and I tend to work on double spreads so you can double that.

Terrie Purkey said...

I'm really liking what you're doing in your AB - I've fallen quite a bit behind in mine and you're a good inspiration to get going again.

Flowermouse Design said...

Thank you for sharing and I am learning so much from your work. I really love those room keys - and what a good idea to use them like you do!!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

You did a great job! I just love the page with all the animals from the zoo. :)

Sunshineshelle said...

Wow saw the last post & this, really love the journal work Debbie!

Susan said...

Oh my.. I love the one with the maps!! I'm a succer for maps anyway and I just love love love your page.

paulaexuk said...

Great pockets and use of the maps. Your Meercats are darlings and I love the hidden tag showing them peeping out.