Saturday, July 7, 2012

AB-Lesson 10

Lesson 10 in Elizabeth's free on-line altered book course is all about using magazine images and how to frame them in your book. She talks about types of paper different magazines use & how important it is to use a dry glue, such as a glue stick. She also suggests ways to frame your images in your book so they look like they belong and are not just "floating" on the page. She included a tutorial to make an amazing frame with rolled back edges which I plan to try in my next book--yes, there will be a next one! Anyway, if you have been following along with me, you already know how much I like using magazine images. Here's what I did with this lesson:
This 2-page spread is all about the Grand Canyon in all of its splendor. It was one of the places we visited on our recent trip. I love the colors that nature has painted it--it changes by the hour with the movement of the sun. I tried to tie the 2 pages together with the crocheted frames I made. I used 3 individual colors for the small pictures on the left, and then crocheted them all together for the page on the right.
Remember the loose page I made while making the "smoosh & twist" background? I tore it in to strips & used it to make a woven design. I hope it looks like frames around some of the other National Parks we also visited a few weeks ago. It is meant to be lumpy & uneven to sort of resemble the Hoodoos of Bryce Canyon.

I am so excited with how my AB is turning out! Thank you to all who have stopped by and left lovely comments & encouragement!

13 comments:

Roxanne said...

Wonderful and very interesting to see Debbie! Love what you did here. My mother took my boys to the Grand Canyon and they love it. Hopefully one day I can go. Thanks for sharing. :)

Magaly Guerrero said...

This is lovely! Enchanting how you put different things together and make them into something whole and beautiful.

IrelandBrady said...

I really like the pages you are creating in your AB book! You are so very clever and "crafty" Debbie!

Jenny Woolf said...

What lovely colours, they are very much reminiscent of the Grand Canyon!

Flowermouse Design said...

Oh Grand Canyon!!! How I wish to go there - but you took me on a small trip. I love the little frames you´ve done!!

Deb said...

Hi Debbie sorry haven't been by lately think of you often

see you there! said...

Great rusty orange color and how clever you are to crochet the frame.

Darla

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I agree that your book is turning out to be a fantastic example of what an AB should look like. Even though it is small, it is such a fun example of a fantastic way to show your previous travels.

I really liked how you tied the two pages together with the crocheted colors. That was a clever way to embellish your pages, too. AND it reiterates what I said earlier about incorporating your special talent in your AB.

The extra page was also a brilliant idea. I like how you used it to make bumpy frames for your photos. Adding the vehicle and buffalo added to the fun factor of this page, too.

To answer your question, the first AB I started, I began with page 1, 2, etc. I soon learned to jump around, especially if I had added a bunch of embellishments that caused lumps and bumps. Over the years, I learned to leave at least one page between two spreads. This helped in case I needed or wanted to go back and add something like a brad that I didn't want to show. After all, hiding your elements is important. I really believe in attention to detail and the back of a page should look as good as the front. After your book is complete, you can always go back and fill in those unused pages, paint them, or even remove them. BUT, you'll be glad they are there, I promise you!

sandee said...

Very cool way to use those backgrounds that you made earlier! Love it!! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

BJ said...

Great pages of a awesome place, I was gobsmacked when I first clapped eyes on the Canyon myself. Great memories captured there. BJ

Melissa said...

Great work - you are really learning a lot with these lessons.

Magic Love Crow said...

Wow, I am excited for you! I know I must sound like a broken record, but seriously Deb, you are doing amazing! Another book, good for you! I might try doing one! I love this!!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

What a gorgeous way to document such cherished memories. You are doing such a fabulous job!