Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Technology Smecknology!

The soul that perpetually overflows with kindness and sympathy will always be cheerful.-Parke Godwin

Do you ever get tired of technology? I do, or rather I get frustrated. Last week I had a problem with my Facebook fan page. This occurred right after Facebook switched all the accounts to the new format. It seems I could only post on it via my Etsy shop. When I tried to post directly on the page, it would give me security captcha words that no matter how many times I entered them, they always came up wrong. It took three attempts (with no answer by the way) before the issue was magically resolved. So what's with the automated response to contacting help that they don't answer "every" (?any) questions. If it is not on the forum or someone doesn't answer your posted question--you're out of luck? No wonder the stock isn't doing as amazingly as everyone thought it would.

Today, I went to write a blog post and I got a page that said my blog was removed. So I tried to sign into google which after a roundabout took me to a page that said they "detected suspicious activity" on my account and I needed to enter a code to verify myself. Since I do not have texting on my phone, I had to opt for the automated telephone call. After 3 tries and 45 minutes, no code was forthcoming. My daughter suggested I have the text sent to her phone. It came immediately, and entering the code, signing in, and changing my password...as you can see I can now post. If my daughter wasn't home & I had to wait for the phone code--if it ever came--I wonder how long it would have taken to repair this problem. So what was the suspicious activity? I have no idea, and there does not seem to be a way to find out.

I usually don't get crazy about things like this...but it seems all my technology is turning on me. Why do they have to change what works? Okay, deep breath. Rant over.
Thanks for listening.











11 comments:

see you there! said...

Shaking my head and laughing because it is all so familiar. I always think it is something I've done in error since I'm pretty Low Tech myself.

Darla

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

When it rains in pours is how I feel about those issues. Sometimes it seems like all the technology in my life revolts at the same time. Hope it's all settled for you now!!

New End Studio said...

Double the trouble, Debbie.

It's so true, fb doesn't respond to help and if your problem isn't already correctly answered in the support or forum section there is little you can do.

Glad it finally worked out.

Melissa said...

Yep - It happens like that...I've been there...

Beadwright said...

Ohhh I do get crazy about things like this. The powers that be have invented, created, and distributed the tecno of today they should quit changing it and keep the bugs out of it and make it so everyone, smart phone or not to get the help when needed. Imediately.
wheeeewwwww glad I got that off my mind. LOL
I won't have a smart phone until it is absolutely needed.
Nicole/Beadwright

sandee said...

LOL, I understand your frustration at having your blog removed, go to my first post and read my reaction, can we say "I'm a drama queen?" I even went to bloggers FB like every day for 2 weeks and wrote I hate you, lol Your rant is nowhere near my level! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Magic Love Crow said...

Love ya Deb, and I totally understand! This message you got from blogger, it has happened to a couple of people. I hope it doesn't happen to me! You are lucky you had your daughter! I do not have texting either. I got a weird message from Blogger yesterday, that they were changing something else, but to tell you the truth, I didn't understand what they were talking about? LOL! Big Hugs ;o) Oh, I love the colors on your blog ;o)

Lori said...

Oh My! Been there and I swear it happens JUST to make me look Stupid! Just when I think I have it all figured out they change it on me anyway!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had been posting for about two years when it happened to me. Back then, I'm not even sure Blogger was owned by Google, or it may have just been purchased by them.

The message I got was they had shut my blog down because of suspicious activity. I asked them to view and review my blog, because I posted nearly every day (even back then), so would they please return my blog to me. It wasn't long till I got a message back that they had looked at my blog and had returned it to me. They suggested I change my password, which I did. But I assure you, it was a frustrating and discouraging three or so days.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I forgot to mention: yet one more reason why I refuse to be on facebook!!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Oh my goodness! Big hugs - what a mess! Glad it is all straightened out for you now. I changed my password on FB - to be on the safe side. Seems like so many people I knew were getting hacked. Ah the dependency upon the digital world...and there is no ending in sight!