Friday, May 25, 2012

IA Challenge-Mermaids

Joy is not in things; it is in us.-Richard Wagner

First, thanks to everyone who commented and commiserated with me on my last post. Just a little addendum...The three calls that I was waiting for from Google with the confirmation codes for some reason went right to my Verizon voice mail--so there was yet another snafu with my telephone! All in one day. Unbelievable! On to more fun stuff!

Hosting her first challenge with Inspiration Avenue Lou Anne picked a subject that is one of her favorites--Mermaids! You can see her post and some beautiful examples of Mermaid art here.

My challenge piece is a mermaid sun catcher. It started out with this sketch I made to get an idea of the size & shape of the piece:
Next I formed the shape with green copper wire. I decided to just fill in her tail with beads and leave the body parts open:
What I can't decide is if I like her better with or without hair:
The hair is just temporarily laid in place...What's your vote? With hair? or Without?

Have a happy, creative weekend everyone! Enjoy the long weekend if you live in the US. Have a safe one!



20 comments:

Melissa said...

Without...I like the almost stick figure look...

Lori said...

But-- I swear-- I have NEVER seen a Bald mermaid...And what Pretty Ta-ta's she has!! Shparkle!! LOL!! I love her..My colors!

sandee said...

I think she needs beaded hair, at least that's my vote! I love that you made a suncatcher, after all she catches sailors, why not the sun? waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Rachel K said...

I think she needs hair, but something a little lighter than this. She's so delicate, I think her hair should be as well.

Lori Saul said...

Fantastic! I love this beautiful sun catcher- so creative and unique!

Yvonne said...

wonderful!

New End Studio said...

Pretty mermaid! Deb, either one is great, but maybe a few beaded strands for hair, like a seaweed wreath or a starfish crown?

Flowermouse Design said...

Oh just beautiful. I agree about a little too much hair - and I thought about strands of beads as well like New End Studio. That will not take the eye off the beautiful tail. Looking forward to see it finished - and what you´ll do about that hair!!

see you there! said...

A sun catcher, how clever you are! I vote for hair but as others said, maybe a little less of it, something that just "suggests" hair, even a few beads at the top of her head.

Darla

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I do like her with hair but the hot red is competing with the cool blues. Try blond. :)

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, you did her so well! I love her! I think she does need hair. What I was wondering, if you could put some beads in her hair, then it would complement her tail? Great job! Hope you are having a wonderful long weekend ;o)(I like the red!)

IMGIRL said...

I love her colorful beaded tail. Why not do some wire hair with some curled pieces and add some beads.
Or use string hair with beads in it, even braided maybe.
Whatever you do, she is lovely!

Lou Anne said...

Thank you for participating in the mermaid challenge over at IA this week. I thinks she's a beauty with or without hair. People suggested some fabulous ideas for hair options-I don't know which I'd choose.

Jennifer McLean said...

that is so cool that you beaded her tail!! she looks awesome, what an inspired idea.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting, the encouragement is welcome, when it comes to human form I'm pretty nervous about my art.
Hope to see you next week, I always love to see what the moose is up to!
Best,
Jenn

kirstin mcculloch said...

OHHHH, what an amazing entry. I love her, with hair! So creative

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Her tail is amazingly beautiful. I vote for WITH HAIR. I think she looks like a stick figure without it. Maybe I prefer a bit of realism, but I have never seen a mermaid without a tail or hair. Sadly without one, the other is a bit woosy! Of course woosy is probably NOT a word.

peggy gatto said...

She's a doll!!!!

gma said...

How FUN! Love her hair. Can you imagine what living in the ocean would do for hair?
:-)

Jenny Woolf said...

Mmm, without I think. What lovely colours in the tail. By coincidence I posted a pic of a mermaid in my blog, but unlike you it is not my own lovely work!!!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

How about beaded or wire hair? That might be fun! Whatever you decide to do, she came out great!