Friday, May 11, 2012

Bowl of Fruit

"Hardship helps a woman recognize good fortune." -Unknown

Firstly, thank you for all the nice comments on my eggshell apple aceo! I thought I would share the whole bowl of fruit with you now! This was made by me back in the early 1980s (or possibly even late 1970s). I got the idea from a magazine(?), dyed the eggshells with Easter egg dye and made it on a canvas panel. I darkened the photo a bit so you can see the colors better...after 40+ years they have faded a bit. Who knew?
I think I had a lot more patience back then, too!

Wednesday's trip to pick up our daughter was horrendous! We were in the minivan to leave at 9 am, backed out of the driveway, and could not get the car into drive! I could park, reverse, be in neutral or low, but I didn't want to do any of those things! After trying for several minutes to turn off the car and hope that it would work, it was evident that it wouldn't. So...at 30 miles an hour (in a 40mph zone) we headed off to the local repair shop that we use. I had to keep pulling over to let cars go by when the line behind me got long. We made it only to find the parking lot full, every chair in the waiting room full, and a line of people waiting to get to the counter. We looked at each other and decided to leave and try another place in town. They were able to look at the car right away and determine that it was more an electrical problem but were quick to add that we might still need a new transmission. Since they could not promise the car that day we elected to go home & I took
our Camry to pick our daughter up myself, thankful that the breakdown occurred at home and not on the road or 2 states over!

The ride up was happily uneventful, and fortunately the rain held off. The original plan was to take what we could and go back the next day for the rest. If you've been to an away college or have a kid in college, you probably know there is a definite day they have to be out. That would be Thursday. To make a long story short...somehow, we crammed everything into the car and still had the rear window and sides clear for visibility. So we did not have to wind up going back yesterday!

My biceps hurt so much from carrying everything down 2 flights of stairs...I stopped counting after 8 trips! I didn't bring the carts or hand truck because they would have taken up too much room. In a two-floor low-rise dorm, the only elevator use is reserved for disabled students.

Regrettably, I didn't get to do too much crafting this week, but I will be back on Monday with my latest altered book pages.

Have a happy, creative weekend!

















9 comments:

Beadwright said...

I do enjoy the adventures you have in your life. Yes glad the minivan did it's upset at home. I think this eggshell art is sooooo very cool.
Nicole/Beadwright

IrelandBrady said...

Egg shell mosaics ... who'da thought?! Your creation is just beautiful Debbie!

Crystal said...

It looks beautiful! It has held up really well if you ask me. The colors are still pretty vibrant. :-)

Magic Love Crow said...

Hey Deb ;o) I am behind in bog land and e-mails! Sorry! First I have to say, your larger eggshell art, is so beautiful! Very detailed! Your home must be filled with beautiful art!! I am so sorry what happened with the minivan! I would have been stressing! But, I am so happy your camry worked out well and you had a successful time! I bet your biceps would hurt!! Take care and I still love you ;o)

Faerie Moon Creations said...

How fabulous your eggshell art is! I clicked on the photo for a closer look! :) Sorry to hear about all your stresses, but at least your daughter is safely home with you now. Happy Mother's Day to you!

priti.lisa said...

Ugh! The best thing about horrendous days is that they make the sweet days seem even sweeter :)
I just got a peek of your eggshell apple...I love it!
♥♥♥

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I hope your biceps have recovered. :)

I have a praise in that our home has officially sold. I now have just 32 to days to find a home, pack and move. A little pressure? :) We put a bid on a home yesterday that will give "The Money Pit" a run for it's money.
I wanted to let you know that I so appreciate all of your support and kind comments and if I am absent the next few weeks from your blog please know I will return soon.

For whomever you nurture, have a happy and blessed Mother's Day.

Jennifer McLean said...

that's absolutely amazing, I can't believe that's eggshells. Who knew?
Can't wait to see what you do this week in APR!!
See you soon,
Best,
Jenn

Sunshineshelle said...

Very impressive Debbie, looks like you still are patient making all those trips! Hope your arms have recovered!