Tuesday, May 29, 2012

AB Lesson 8

Contentment is the greatest wealth.--English Proverb

Today, I'm showing off Lesson 8 in Elizabeth's Altered Book Class. This week is all about color and color theory. She gives a very comprehensive lesson in her blog post. She talks about colors, their relationships to each other, warm and cool colors and a host of other helpful color facts. This post is useful for anyone who creates art...including, but not limited to fine artists, jewelry makers, beaders, sculptors, etc.

When I talk about our assignment, I always hear the Mission Impossible theme song playing in my head. You know the one where the recorded voice says, "Your mission, if you choose to accept it is (insert mission here). As always, if you fail (and I am paraphrasing here) you will be expunged from the records. This post will self-destruct in one minute--well, not really, but my assignment did!

First, we were to make a color wheel using magazines, junk mail, whatever. Anything except scrapbook pages. Now I own several color wheels but that doesn't mean I am good at seeing the right hues. I tried to follow E's directions--she said her math was a bit off--apparently mine was a lot off! I never was good in math, but since I really did not intend to put this in my AB, I didn't sweat it too much. I also did not label the colors, but here it is:

Our second assignment was to create backgrounds using some of the color relationships we learned or a sgraffito technique which is scratching a pattern in wet paint that has been applied over a dry color. I had better luck here:
Here I used a monochromatic color scheme and painted the background from dark to light blue. Of course, this is my spread for Holland which is famous for windmills and Tulips.
I also tried to bring in some of the complimentary colors--the orange tulip against the blue sky, the yellow next to the purple, and the red one next to the green leaves. My second spread was to try the sgraffito technique which lended itself well to fireworks which made me think of Disney World and watching them over Cinderella's Castle. Not wanting to ruin my book, I tried it on a separate page:
I liked how it came out but felt it was too dark; so when I did the actual page, I used a grey:
I almost think I liked the boldness of the first one better! Oh well, what's done is done. I did like the technique and can see it as grass, outlines of buildings, trees, etc.







13 comments:

Melissa said...

I really like the Holland page - very pretty...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I can't get over how well you manage the homework assignment to match your book's theme. At least I can say I've been to one of the places in your book (grin), since I've been to both Disney World in FL and Disneyland in CA.

I can truly relate to that sgraffito interpretation of the sky over the castle. Of course, I think I agree that the darker is probably better because they always show their fireworks at night.

I personally think that was a great color wheel and believe it deserves a place of importance in your AB. It looks much better than the 2nd one I made, that's for sure.

And of course, it would be rude to not say something about the lovely Holland spread that demonstrated your ability to use these colors we discussed. Again, I'm impressed by your knowledge of the subject and your ability to articulate it.

Thanks so very much for sharing these spreads.

Beadwright said...

You are doing so well with these classes. As you know my grand mother was a famous fine artist. The one thing she taught me and her students is that everyone has a different eye when it comes to color. Each person's color wheele is a bit different in hue. It is how our eye works. I really like this assignment and how you put yours together.
Nicole/Beadwright

elle said...

I like the comment on each of our eyes sees the colour wheel differntly. True! Your tulips look spectacular on the page and the Disney theme fireworks is grand!

Flowermouse Design said...

Wow - i simply love colors and how you express your assignment with them. Such impressive work Debbie - I could never draw anything!! You are so skilled!!!

sandee said...

Great job! I tried making the color wheel at first, and my math...well couldn't even be considered math, hence the bubble color wheel I made! lol My favorite page would be the Holland page, that turned out so pretty! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

see you there! said...

Nice pages, I'm impressed with your willingness to experiment and your understanding of color.

Darla

Magic Love Crow said...

Debbie, you got the Mission Impossible theme song in my head now! LOL! You always make me laugh ;o) I think you did great on the color wheel! I am not good in math either! Don't worry ;o) Your other pages turned out fantastic! I like the hand at the bottom of the castle ;o) Hugs ;o)

New End Studio said...

Your rendition of each assignment is lovely, the colors are very pleasing and they tell your unique story. Somewhere I have a color wheel, and you're right, the hues are particular to each person's eye, it's great!

Please don't self destruct! ♥

Dawn said...

What fab pages Debbie, lol your colour wheel looks pretty impressive to me! You could always put it behind a door matching your theme somewhere in your book later on??
The fireworks spreads are beautiful too, incredibly effective.
Thanks for sharing x

Terrie Purkey said...

Like Sandee, my color wheel is leaf shapes so I didn't have to mess with math! However, I have to say your color representations are excellent - far better than mine. And I too love your Holland page - love the way the tulips spread across the bottom of the page. I didn't try the sgraffito and am impressed with your efforts. Nice work!!

paulaexuk said...

Your pages are wonderful, the use of colour for your theme is great. I adore the tulips page.

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Very fun! You did great with both of these. :) I am loving those tulips!