Monday, May 14, 2012

AB Lesson 7

Lesson 7 of Elizabeth's altered book class was part 2 of design principles: line, form, shape, space, and texture.
My first spread represents Venice, as I am sure most (if not all) of you will recognize! I tried to illustrate more than one design principle in each spread.
Line is demonstrated by the vertical tie up poles and the broken line of horizontal lagoon line markers. Although I didn't frame any images in a solid color, I feel the muted image of St. Mark's Basilica on the left gives the eye a place to rest in this other wise busy spread. There are rectangles portraying shape in the tower of the Church of San Giorgio Maggiore across the lagoon, ovals in the hats, etc. It is hard to see due to the glare of the photo, but the gondolas in the bottom right are layered onto the page and the hats in turn layered onto them. One of the hats has a ribbon tie attached--which in person provides some texture.
My second page was a collage of Egypt.
I think the shading of the pyramids and sphinx help them to appear more 3D so they show form. Of course, the bamboo background, while also a resting place is filled with lines as is the map. This was the first time I was able to make the words on the page meaningful--I added the word "Egypt".

I feel like it is hard to incorporate many principles into one spread without breaking a few of the others that we previously learned. Thanks for the great explanations and encouragement, Elizabeth! I'm looking forward to the next lesson!

12 comments:

paulaexuk said...

Your 2 pages are wonderful, I adore the Venice one, the blurred blue gondolas for me provide the negative in the painting which in turn provides the positive. My eyes are resting there. Wonderful.
Don't forget the texture in the camel's coat of many colours.

Jenny Woolf said...

I love how the Venice one seems to be changing from bright sunnny noonday to mysterious evening. Beautiful!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

There I was writing away, admiring your pages and lamenting on the fact that I wish I had known you when I had my 7 Continents Swap that took us 7 months to finish, when what should happen? MY (electrical) POWER went out. Lost every word, every thought and my internet connection, too!! I DO remember saying something about admiring how many places you have visited or lived, but my brain is mush at the moment because it took awhile to get back online.

I remember enlarging the photos and admiring the various design elements you were able to capture in these collages. I also spoke about how I am often at a loss for ways to incorporate a title or sentiment and it was great that you found a way to incorporate words from the magazine with the word Egypt in your spread.

I truly enjoyed both entries because they are pure collage AND they use magazine images which I truly love using in my art, too. Please keep it up because I truly enjoy your art! Now if I could only remember what I wrote before (grin).

Melissa said...

I definitely like the Venice one the best - great movement...

sandee said...

I really love how you layered the hats and the ribbon, awesome! The effect is wonderful!waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Magic Love Crow said...

Debbie, you are doing a great job! It must be so much fun seeing all of your hard work come to life! I love them both, but Egypt really speaks to me ;o) Hugs ;o)

see you there! said...

Really nice work. The Egypt page seems especially well balanced to me.
Don't ask me to explain why tho :-)

Darla

BJ said...

Cool pages the Venice one especially. BJ

Dawn said...

Your pages are delightful my lovely, particularly love the egypt one with the camel and sphinx. I love statues and have quite a few pictures of statues that I am hoping to incorporate into my book some time in the future. Dawn.

Lorinda @ Everyday Endeavours said...

Hi Debbie, I can't believe you got my postcard already...I only mailed it (from Canada) on Friday!! Am glad the travel theme was so fitting! Thanks so much for commenting so I could find you! I wasn't sure who any of my names were :-) Will definitely browse around while I'm here. Have a lovely week!
Lorinda xx

Terrie Purkey said...

Great looking AB Debbie - love the travel theme and the fun way you're interpreting different places. Since I've been to Venice, that one spoke to me more and I really liked the layering you did. I haven't worked in my AB in awhile - I really MUST get back to it.....ideas are brewing... Thanks for the visit and encouraging words.

elle said...

The line was executed wonderfully. Very good job!