Friday, April 6, 2012

Frida Inspired-IA Challenge

I admit I don't know a whole lot about Frida Kahlo, and I have not come to love her as many artists have. I have not been influenced by her style (that I know of) and so thought I would have to sit this one out. But then that little line that Lisa, the host this week, printed..."BE YOU" gave me my loophole! I knew if I pushed and pulled enough, tweaked and turned enough, and reach deep enough, I could come up with something. So I thought about my culture or heritage, which is Italian, and I thought about all the beautiful mosaics and stone work. I thought about beautiful fountains, and gladiator battles in the Coliseum--weird how my mind works, I know. So how to tie this all in to Frida? I know that Frida often painted herself with monkeys & parrots--so animals became my inspiration. My lion is made of polymer clay surrounded by beaded dangles for the mane. It is still a WIP (busy week).
Stop by Inspiration Avenue on Sunday and see all the Frida-inspired art!

Have a happy, creative weekend! Happy Easter and Happy Passover!

20 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh Debbie, I LOVE how your mind works. You are right. The more I learned about Frida, the more I learned she liked animals. So this challenge piece is not only adorable, it is right on point!! Way to go.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Forgot to wish you a lovely Easter and Passover, too. To my Italian friend from your (1/2) British friend.

Magic Love Crow said...

Happy Easter Debbie ;o) You have a very creative mind!!! I love your lion! I have to admit, I don't know too much about Frida Kahlo either. Big Hugs ;o)

see you there! said...

What a super lion. I like the fact that you went to your own history/culture but tied it to Frida's use of animals in art.

Darla

Lori Saul said...

I love where this challenge took you. We don't always need to interpret by the book- so very unique and creative!

sandee said...

I have to admit, I have never heard of Frida Kahlo, but I LOVE your lion! So darn creative girl! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Jennifer McLean said...

wow, you did soooo great, see, I had the same reaction about Freda, don't love her stuff, not my style, not influenced. I chickened out and decided not to do this challenge. You were more brave than me!

Thanks so much for your compliment on my artwork, btw. It's so appreciated!
Have a wonderful Easter.
Best,
Jenn of www.JustAddWaterSilly.com

Beadwright said...

You mind works in mysterious ways my friend. In a good way. I love this piece!!!!
Happy Easter
Nicole/Beadwright

Melissa said...

I'm glad you didn't include yourself in the picture - that aspect of Kahlo bugs me.

Love the lion - he is darling...

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

As a leo I love it!

Have a wonderful Easter weekend!

IrelandBrady said...

This lion is absolutely delightful! Well done Debbie!

Kat W said...

Oh how fab - I love your lion!! It is a perfect unique entry that celebrates self-expression/identity and imagination. Wonderful :-))

Kat X

Geckostone said...

Debbie, this is soooooooo freaking cool!!!!, I LOVE it! Keep that mind workin just the way it does, you are a gem my friend! Deb

priti.lisa said...

You are so creative! And this is exactly what I had in mind...a self-portrait, a piece of you.
Wonderful work, Debbie! ♥♥♥

Anne said...

Super original! Love all those beads!

gma said...

That is cool. Is it going to be a pendant?

kirstin mcculloch said...

This is awesome! I didn't know a whole lot about Frida before this challenge either, but I love the way you have interpreted this weeks challenge. Beautiful -I can't wait to see the finished product.

Linda said...

Sorry to be so late but Happy Easter. I hope it was grand.
This collage is wondrous. So much to see...love all the texture.

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Wow - Debbie! This is REALLY cool. You did a great job on this challenge!

Sunshineshelle said...

TOTALLY AWESOME!!!