Monday, April 2, 2012

Altered Book Lesson 4

Do not follow where the path may lead...Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.-Benjamin Franklin

Lesson 4 of Elizabeth's AB class contained a very extensive review of different types of glues and some of their uses. After reading all and hopefully digesting some of the information, it was time to get down and dirty and do some experimenting on our own. She asked us to use four different glues plus gesso to adhere two pages of our book together and document the results. She suggested we could decorate according to our book theme and make tags to document the results. I kept hearing in my mind..."There are no rules" and just went with whatever came to me. I will just show the finished pages here and not go into all the details of how the glues reacted. The results are on the tags, however. I painted with watered down acrylic paint and made my tags from recycled manilla folders. Other embellishments were cut from previously removed pages from my book and some stickers or pages from travel brochures. As my book is on travel, I decided to make my tags based on the types of vehicles that I have used during my travels. The pages are pretty self-explanatory, so I will only make a few comments.
Page one: airplane flying through the clouds. Pretty simple, right?
Page two: car on the highway. I have taken many road trips in my life, mostly in a southern (from me) direction!
Page three: cruising the high seas. I've taken at least 5 cruises which I have totally enjoyed despite being prone to sea-sickness. The left page reflects some of the animals I have seen while cruising. When I find a picture of an otter, I will add that, too!
Page four: Train travel. While I have never taken an entire trip by train, a trip to Alaska did include travel aboard the White Pass Railroad. I will never forget going up these steep cliffs and seeing Dall Sheep precariously perched on them!
Page five: Touring by motorcoach (bus). Many trips I have taken have used multiple kinds of vehicles or have been entirely by bus, including many in the USA and a 24-day tour of Europe.

That is all I managed this week, although I did try the stencil frottage technique which was unsuccessful. I did try the glue resist painting, but my glue must have been old & dried yellow & flat rather than white or clear. I will try this one again as soon as I get some fresh glue.

My thanks, once again, to Elizabeth for all the time and effort in putting this free course together--I'm having a blast!

17 comments:

mentalmulch said...

This is so neat! Love it. Happy Monday to you! :)

Ann B said...

I love your pages and what a great idea to write the details of the glues on the page decorations.
You asked about my deco pages, think the original idea was to circulate the actual books for decorating but after a few went missing en route we decided just to do the pages and post out then you can make your own book and glue them in - or bind it so yes it is like a fat book. In fact I'm not sure what the difference is.

Ann B
xx

Beadwright said...

It seems like you are having way too much fun with this.... ooohhh that's what you are suppose to be doing. LOL
Niocle/Beadwright

she dreams big! said...

What a great way to put down your memories. You are always doing something creative, aren't you!

Flowermouse Design said...

Very impressing. A great idea to add details in the book. And it seems that you have traveled a lot. How fantastic - we carry the memories always from our traveling. You manage to put it in a fantastic way!!

sandee said...

You have done a lot of different kinds of travel! I've never thought of it in that way and it made me think of how I have travelled too, plus I am a 'southernly' directional travelor myself! lol see, your book inspires others to think about their own travels! great job! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I like your "tags" SO MUCH better than mine. What ingenuity you have shown, both with the way you documented the glue experiments, and the way you kept on theme. Very, very impressive.

It's good to know I am not the only one who couldn't get the frottage technique to work, either. And just so you know, I'm having a BLAST checking out your AB pages!!

see you there! said...

Great pages. Elizabeth is doing such a wonderful job with her classes. I really wanted to join but got too committed elsewhere. I'm having fun following along tho.

Darla

Helen said...

Love how you've incorporated your theme into the glue lesson results.

Melissa said...

I like your pages - they are very sweet particularly the first and last.

I usually use Mod Podge to glue together my pages. Perhaps I should try using gel medium (which I have - but it is soooo expensive). :) sigh.

Jennifer McLean said...

OOh, altered book pages look fantastic!
I absolutely LOVE Copics, they're so expensive but the grays are totally worth it. When I have more money I'm going to choose some classic background colors like blues, greens, turquoise, sepia and I'm going to do a run just like the grays... they're 1-10, with each increment 10% stronger than the next. Copic only does this with the grays but I want that for a few colors. Some day, sigh.
Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting, it was so nice to see you.
Best,
Jenn of www.JustAddWaterSilly.com

Jenny Woolf said...

These are great, so full of life and interest - I love to look at altered books but don't think I could ever make one myself.

Magic Love Crow said...

Wow Deb, you are doing a fantastic job! So much work! This book is going to be a treasure when it's done! Bravo Deb!

Terrie said...

What a creative way to depict your travels - I never thought of it from this perspective! And aren't you clever to put your results on those vehicle tags - amazing. Your book is going to be such a great collection of memories but with a touch of whimsy which I just love. Can't wait to see more.

Isn't Elizabeth doing a great job leading us along?

Karen said...

ooo I love how you have done your tags and your roads are awesome! Great pages x

elle said...

Your AB trip is off to a great start.

Jacqueline said...

LOVE what you've done with those travel pages!! Cool or what!

Thanks for sharing,

Jackie x