Monday, April 30, 2012

AB Lesson 6

From small beginnings come great things.--Dutch proverb

Lesson 6 in Elizabeth's AB class on her blog has us continuing to explore design principles. This week we are looking at repetition, rhythm or pattern, dominance and contrast. My first completed page looks a little wimpy...I am hoping as the lessons progress that I will get some ideas how to add to it. Inspired by our trip to Mykonos:
I think this illustrates repetition in the multiple windmills and dominance of the one on the right page which is larger and more detailed. I believe it has rhythm to draw your eye from the smallest to the largest because of how they are arranged on a slope. There is also a little pattern to their roofs and repetition to the shapes of the sails.

As Elizabeth pointed out to me last time, my fish page also demonstrates repetition.

My second/third page spread turned out better; at least I was happier with it. It reflects a trip to Niagara Falls and visits to the Floral Clock and a Butterfly Sanctuary:
I think the multiple images of the Falls draw your eye right down the page as does the trim on each side--keeping with the water theme, I thought the rick rack looked like waves. Maybe the red Canadian flag and the colored lights in the water picture bottom middle accomplishes this, too. I think the clock page shows some contrast between the circle & rectangle frame shapes. The frame also draws your eye around the page to see the butterflies, too.

My book is really starting to shape up! Looking forward to the next lesson!

P.S. A few people inquired about my crystal sun catcher. These are antique crystals salvaged from a lamp. It does create many small rainbows in a circular shape. In our windows which have a gas in between, it seems to work better if it is suspended a bit away from the window--say, on a curtain rod, rather than from a suction cup on the window. I will be making up some for sale (I have another shape to try also) and will probably put them on my new website. When they (and the site) are ready, I'll announce it here. Thanks for asking about them.

17 comments:

Melissa said...

Oooh Yeah - I have the spot for the catchers!!

By the way - I like the windmills - I just think you need a little foreground - either - a silhouette of Don Quixote in the foreground or - a strip of tulips - in silhouette or something along that line.

The falls - do work very nicely - just as you say - but I am partial to the windmills - maybe it is the Dutch in me. :)

Kokopelli said...

You were on Mykonos? Beautiful, isn't it? Love your page!

Flowermouse Design said...

I love those windmills too!! And the clock theme too. Very creative Debbie!! I could almost see myself getting into that craft - but I will not. There are enough crafts in my home... LOL!!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Melissa..thanks for the good suggestions. If I do some Volendam (Holland)windmills, tulips would be brillant!

Kokopelli..thanks! Mykonos is gorgeous! Also visited Crete, Athens & many other places in Greece.

Lone, Can we ever have too many crafts, LOL?! Thanks for your visit my sweet friend!

paulaexuk said...

Your pages represent the design principles perfectly. Well done! I love the way the Niagara Falls page draws you over, just like the water at the falls, one of my favourite places.

Karen said...

ooo I adore your windmills and want to touch them as you have ingeniously used other materials on them :-D

The waterfalls certainly provide movement and draw the eye down. all fabulous work! xxx

sandee said...

Since all the pages are lovely, I am going to pick out my favorite element and that is dominance. I love he windmill on the right page, very rustic looking! Great job on your design elements and waving hi from the beautiful hills of North Carolina :)

Lori said...

Dang-- fell behind in keeping up with the blog-- Love the book and all...I think Your pages are awesome.
HUGZ!!

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, wimpy?? I think not! I looked at the windmills close up and I think they look great! Maybe add some color to the background, so they will pop? Just thinking. The next two pages really stand out! Great job! Thanks for the information about the crystal sun catcher ;o) Can't wait! New web site?? Lady, you are busy! I thought I was busy! LOL! Hugs ;o)

elle said...

You are doing swell. The floral clock is a very cool picture of movement as well as the falls.

IrelandBrady said...

I am surely enjoying the new techniques you are learning. They are so very interesting ... Thank You!

BJ said...

Oh the Floral Clock and Butterfly Sanctuary sound heavenly, you have captured their essence really well with this page. Niagra Falls looks so real too with loads of movement in the pictures drawing you in. Not forgetting your windmills from your Mykonos trip, I think you have captures the essence of this place well too, gentle and quiet. Well done - BJ

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm so enjoying your trips. I'm also partial to the windmills. They are truly unique. I love the little extra details you put into your pages. Not sure what the terrain is like in Mykonos (in fact, being geography challenged, I don't even know where Mykonos IS), but you might find something to place in front of, or a road in between or alongside the windmills. Of course, I really, really love them just the way they are. I would say you have done a fantastic job with the last of the design principles.

I especially like how you combined the Butterfly Sanctuary to the Floral Clock in your spread. That uses imagination and that personal touch I talked about!

see you there! said...

Both spreads are great. I admire you for keeping up with Elizabeth's super tutorials.

Darla

Sunshineshelle said...

Love the look of the book & I am amazed at how much we learn by the tutorials available, I want to do so many & never seem focused enough to do them! So pleased you are sharing what your doing in yours :)

Sherry said...

Lovely pages Debbie, especially the Mykonos one. This course is really quite thought provoking isn't it, but good fun too x

Dawnie Prawnie said...

I love your pages Debbie, what a wonderful memory book this will be for you x