Monday, April 16, 2012

AB Lesson 5 Design Principles

In order to be happy, find something you love to do and throw yourself into it wholeheartedly. --unknown

In Lesson 5 of the Altered Book course offered for free by Bleubeard and Elizabeth, we are delving into design principles. Part 1 has us exploring and creating 5 pages to illustrate harmony, unity, balance, proportion, and emphasis. Below are my pages with brief explanations of the principles--Elizabeth explains it in much more detail on her blog.
Harmony is achieved when all the parts of your collage form a unified picture. They all go together. I did a 2 page spread on some of the delicious foods in the various countries I have visited. I kept all the photos square & to me at least, I think the colors tend to draw your eye around.
Unity is very similar to Harmony. Unity has consistent sizes, shapes, colors and patterns. I'll always remember snorkeling in an underwater aquarium in Mexico! The fish were gorgeous! I'm not sure if you can see it in this picture, but I put some pearl ex powder over the watercolor background to give it some sparkle. A little may have gotten on a fish or two.
Balance is the visual weight of the collage. There is symmetrical, asymmetrical, and radial balance--which I chose to illustrate all the countries I have visited.
Proportion is the size relationship between elements. I couldn't come up with a way to collage this effectively since I don't "do" people well, so I added this page from a magazine. I'm not sure you can really understand how massive the Eiffel Tower really is until you have stood under it!
Emphasis creates a focal point for your collage. I think I had the most fun with this one, creating the flying carpet. We visited a rug factory in Turkey and were herded into a room to hear the history of carpet making and see many beautiful examples. Yes, the men displaying the carpets spun them swiftly around and really did make them fly! So I think it is obvious that the decorated flying rug is the focal point of this page.

Thanks for joining me on this continuing journey!

20 comments:

Melissa said...

Without a doubt my two favorite pages are the fish and the map pinning all the places you've visited...

Beadwright said...

Great pages. You are certainly throwing yourself into these.LOL
Nicole/Beadwright

Karen said...

I am really impressed by the way you have used the different elements here. Your fish page really stands out, its gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing more x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh Debbie, where do I begin? Those fish are marvelous. They will also work for repetition (with just the right amount of variation) for this lesson's homework.

I'm SO glad you chose an example of radial balance, since it is often overlooked when one thinks of balance. The center earth is perfect for the countries radiating out of it. Very nicely DONE and no example from me to show you, either!!

I love the juxtaposition between the primary and secondary elements in this piece. The smoothness of the gold statue contrast nicely with the cold metal of the Eiffel Tower. The people are tertiary in this piece, so add far less weight. Picking this for proportion shows you totally understand the principle and concept.

BTW, I have been known to wait thirty minutes for people to move out of a photo so I can get one without anybody in the shot. People have told me my photos are cold as a result, but I like the pure aesthetics of the architecture.

I would have loved to have been in that room with the "flying" carpets. I like how you described it as being "herded." Lovely imagery came to mind when I saw those words. Super entry for this lesson!!

sandee said...

Oh my Debbie, awesome work here girlfriend! I am loving the fish page, did you paint them your self? And the radial balance page where you pinned all trips around the world is simply spectacular! You are zooming right along with the classes! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

BJ said...

I adore your fish, they are brilliant. All your page/design examples are superb. BJ

elle said...

Debbie,you have done an excellent job of exemplifying all the aspects of design. Your words add wonderfully to the pictures but they themselves are pretty self explanatory. again, great job.

Jacqueline said...

Oh wow!! I absolutely adore those fish! Love the colours.

Your book is looking fantastic!

Jackie x

fairy thoughts said...

Your AB has a very similar theme to mine. I love your pages, especially the fish and the flying carpet. You have certainly given me some ideas for my lesson 5 pages (which I haven't started yet.. opps).
janet

Magic Love Crow said...

Fantastic Deb! You are blowing me away with your book! I know I keep repeating my self, but you are truly doing an amazing job! A+++

Magic Love Crow said...

I forgot to say, I love your description of the rugs in Turkey!

Terrie Purkey said...

Wow - each of your pages is such a great illustration of Elizabeth's principles....I love how they fit your theme yet also the design principles. I agree with everyone else, your fish are fab but I also really like the earth/radial balance. I think that's SO creative. Looking forward to seeing more of your AB

Jenny Woolf said...

Oh I specially like the fishes. If they were on a plain background they would make a nice quilt design too.

Jennifer McLean said...

hello Debbie, my moosie friend!
Every time I come to your blog I laugh, I just love that moose! Hehehe. Have you seen Diane's Proud Canadian Moose painting? It's on her sidebar, soooo cute! (diane's a member of Inspiration Avenue too, she's doing the challenge this week, thanks for your compliment on my submission to her challenge, by the way)
I'm LOVING your c olorful fishies, debbie. I always just respond to color, no matter what.
Talk to you later, hope to see you in APR this week- coffee & tea theme!
Best,
Jenn of www.justaddwatersilly.com

IrelandBrady said...

I really love the "Harmony" "Unity" Fish page! Its like the fish are swimming in happy harmony!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

What fun pages you've created! I just ADORE the page with the fish - I can see a bit of the glisten from the Pearl-ex (I love that stuff!). It is a truly gorgeous page!

New End Studio said...

Your book is terrific, especially like your fish story and the painting, and your flying carpet page design!

see you there! said...

The fish page is my favorite although the story about the flying carpets had me smiling. So much fun to see your book in progress.

Darla

Ann B said...

All your pages are beautiful but the fish has to be my absolute favourite, so colourful and they look like they could just swim off the page.
I'm so enjoying looking at everyone's take on the AB.

Ann B
xx

Susan said...

Woh your pages are so well done! Very creative and with great variety!