Thursday, March 8, 2012

My Altered Book Lesson 2

As you may remember, I am taking part in Elizabeth of Altered Book Lover's free online altered book course. Every two weeks she posts another lesson & at that time we link up our progress from the previous lesson. We are just getting started and she leaves the lessons up, so there is plenty of time to join in if you are interested!

There are no rules in altering a book except for a very important one...that the book have a sewn spine. I set off to thrift stores and our local library which has a book sale room and came home with several good candidates. (I think I already knew I would be wanting to make more than one of these, lol!)

My theme is travel, and I hope to include or at least use as inspiration many, if not all, or the places I have been. I could not have found a better book in the children's section of the library...
I just love the footprints on the cover! It is a children's copy of Robinson and Crusoe.

The next task was to remove some of the pages from the book. I used Elizabeth's alternative preferred method and removed about 1/3 of the pages, after having set aside a number of them in the back for a niche. I was more worried about ruining the book and having it somehow fall apart than I was about "defacing" it, since I know this discarded book will have a happy well-loved life after it is altered! Here is the book with the pages removed:
This is the room I work in...shared with the washer & dryer. Such is life! But I do have a nice sized computer desk, three chest of drawers, and 3 closets full of supplies, so suffice it to say, I have my supplies collected!
Next are some photos of my stuff! Some are travel books from past years that I have hung onto, some is "junk mail", and in the blue folder are clipping, brochures, and other pieces of miscellaneous travel-related ephemera that I have collected on trips or from magazines.

I feel like I am off to a good, confident start. Elizabeth's instructions are clear and full of photos, and she is always around to answer questions! Now I am off to begin Lesson 3 which will be shown here in about 2 weeks.

10 comments:

Flowermouse Design said...

This is so exciting to be part of the whole process. It really is a lot of work and I am sure yours are going to be amazing. I love that cover - traveling could be almost anything!!! Good luck with it Debbie!!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Off to a good start! I need to go back and find your lesson 1. Can't wait to see your continuation!!!! :)

voodoo vixen said...

You make it sound like sharing a room with a washer and dryer was a bad thing... I can imagine it being toasty and warm after the weekly wash is done and you wouldn't forget you had put the load in, would you? LOL
Love your choice of book and I really hope you are going to use that front cover with the footprints!!

sandee said...

Hi there fellow AB person, I'm in the class too! I joined your blog so I can stay in touch with your progress. I LOVE the cover to your book you've chosen and since your doing a travel AB, you won't even have to alter the cover, unless you want to! Awesome start!

Ann B said...

Hi Debbie, I'm in the class too, in fact I think I sit just behind you next to Sandee ha ha.
Lovely book you have chosen and you can use the cover as it fits so well with your theme. Also love the peep at your craft room and at least if you work in there while the washer is on you can say you are doing housework at the same time.

Melissa said...

I can't wait to watch this process - and I am absolutely thrilled that you are working in the laundry room - that is where all my multi-media occurs. :)

Magic Love Crow said...

Debbie, you are doing a great job! I can't wait to see the book, when it's all done. It's going to be interesting to see all the different stages. When I saw your desk, I thought, know wonder you are asking St. Anthony for help all the time! LOL! Hugs my friend ;o)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Debbie, I am actually quite impressed with your craft and laundry room. I am impressed with the desk, and love the OTT light you have close at hand. I bet you need it for your beading.

I'm so glad you posted your progress. It's always more fun that way. And I love the theme you have chosen. I look forward to seeing how this book progresses. Thanks SO much for sharing!

RosA said...

That cover is great! Hope you don't need to alter it too much. I haven't decided on a theme yet. Better think of something soon!

Sherry Edwards said...

What a lovely book you chose for your theme - it looks like a good size too. I'm trawling your blog now for all your AB posts - lol.

Thanks for coming to see mine :)