Tuesday, February 28, 2012

More Crafting!

Remember the day's blessings, forget the day's troubles--American proverb

Hi Everyone! I've been making braided rugs! Whenever I feel like I need a break from making beaded flowers (admittedly, not often), I still try to stay creative. I decided to make some new knitted braided rugs for our bedroom. Now before you think I am really crazy a fast knitter, let me say I have a knitting machine. It's just a basic no frills type of machine that I bought probably 18 or 19 years ago. I've make a sweater or two, a lot of afghans, and several braided rugs. I'm still trying to use only supplies that I have, and here are the colors I came up with:
Now I know you are thinking she is crazy these don't go together, but on top of a red carpet...they really look cool. So here are the knitted strips which were each 5 stitches knitted 45 feet long!
Braiding took years days because it was tedious with the longs strips and a bit boring. But look how nice they came out:
Next came sewing the braid around and around to form the rug. One down, one to go!
I'm ready to bead some flowers now!

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Fun and very girly colors. I would be ready to bead too. ;)

Beadwright said...

Awesome!!! I want one. In the late 1960s early 1970s my mom and I owned a yarn shop and sold some of the first knitting machines. They are great. Wish I still had one.
Love your colors
Nicole/Beadwright

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

Wow- I had no idea how these rugs were made. Love those colors too!

Flowermouse Design said...

So amazing - I would never have thought i-cords becoming a rug!! So beautifully braided!! What an excellent idea. And you are lucky to have a knitting machine!!

Salem Witch Child said...

Wow that's beautiful. Would you do a tutorial on how to do it? That would be awesome. And I want to see the machine you talked about.

see you there! said...

The finished rug is so attractive. I have to say tho that even with a knitting machine that looks like it took a Lot Of Work!

Darla

Deb said...

what a cool rug....great job!!

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, I was laughing my head off reading your post! I love all the crossed off parts! LOL! Your rug is amazing! I love the color combination! Your poor little head and hands and back, you must be going all the time with creative things! By the way, I love your Greece aceo! Well done ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You really are a crazy and FAST person to get this rug finished in less than a year, even with that knitting machine. Of course, I have NO IDEA what a knitting machine is, but I really DO like the rug. And I thought the colors went well together even before they were combined. I guess I have a weird sense of color, though. And once they were finished, I was totally impressed with the overall design. I'm still laughing at your narrative, too!!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Wow! That's a lot of hard work there. Looks amazing!!!

tsouth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.