Friday, February 3, 2012

IA Challenge: Rocking Horses!

This week marks the first Inspiration Avenue Challenge that is co-hosted by a regular participant in the challenges. Co-hosting along with Shelly (Shelinwa) is Elizabeth of Elizabeth and Bluebeard. If her name sounds familiar, it is because I just introduced you to Elizabeth in my previous post as the one who will be teaching the altered book class online. Anyway, Elizabeth chose as the subject of this challenge...rocking horses! I don't think anyone was surprised, since she is an avid collector of them and has over 450 in varying sizes!

I picked up this unfinished wood rocking horse ornament at an after Christmas sale a while ago and every year it makes it to my desk, and I say this is the year I'll paint it...but he sadly stays unfinished. So thank you Elizabeth for giving me the push I needed. If you have ever visited my blog around Christmas, I have mentioned before that I've made our daughter one ornament every year since she was born that I put aside in a box. It will be a surprise some day when I present her with this gift. So even though my hands are not as steady as they used to be...I present her 2012 ornament:
I forgot to take a photo head on...the other ear is red. The rockers were stained with wood stain & I attempted to paint the holly. The rest was painted with acrylic paint--except for the poinsettias which are decals.

Thanks so much for this fun challenge! Have a happy, creative weekend everyone!

20 comments:

IMGIRL said...

Debbie,
What a beautiful thoughtful gift. I can only imagine her surprise and joy when she receives your box filled with love with every ornament you have made for her. I know they must all be very special and thank you for sharing your Rocking Horse with us. You did a fabulous job. I am loving that clever tail!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Debbie, this ornament is gorgeous. I'm glad this was the challenge that pushed you to finish this gem. I so love it, and you did a fabulous job with the painting and the holly. WAY TO GO. Thank you beyond belief for this lovely addition to the challenge. I know your daughter is going to be SO pleased and impressed when she opens that box one of these years.

Crystal said...

Aw....this is so cute. I know you daughter will treasure this forever! :-)

New End Studio said...

Wonderful gifts for your daughter! The horse is sooo cute, with his mane and tail and the wreath around his neck, all the details are unique and pretty.

Regina said...

He is so cute...great job!!!

PetraB said...

A wonderful horse, love the painting.

Magic Love Crow said...

Debbie, this is so precious! I love your rocking horse! It will be so beautiful to see your daughter's face, when she gets that box!!!

see you there! said...

Oh wow! You created a real rocking horse for the challenge. I'll bet he'll please your daughter no end.

Darla

Yvonne said...

He is sooooo sweet, Debbie!

Beadwright said...

aaahhh she will keep and cherish this her whole life.
Beautiful Debbie.
Nicole/Beadwright

IrelandBrady said...

Ooooh, He is precious Debbie! And what a wonderful gift you will be able to one day surprise your daughter with....it is an awesome idea!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Oh how lovely!!!! You did a such a sweet painting job, Debbie. :) Your daughter is going to love the gift box of ornaments. What a wonderful wonderful thing to do. :) Hope you have a really awesome weekend!!! :)

Sunshineshelle said...

Nice work on the paint job & I love rocking horses :)

Deb said...

I love rocking horses...great job..

Melissa said...

Doesn't it feel great to have it finished? Nice job - he is very sweet.

Geckostone said...

Awesome rocking horse, Deb! What a wonderful gift for your daughter!

kirstin mcculloch said...

what a beautiful idea, and a gorgeous rocking horse. Since my first was born, I have made a new ornament for her (and now her sister) too. I love the continuity of it and the tradition.
Lovely

craftydvl said...

Very cute, and looks a lot like a Christmas ornament I have. He's not a rocking horse (one of those toys that falls to the side when you click the base he's on), but perhaps they are somehow cousins. I think it's a great gift, too!

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

That came out great! I love the mix of stain and paint. What a lovely gift your daughter will get when she's ready to have her own tree.

priti.lisa said...

What a great gift from a mother to her beloved girl. The most special gift...I wish I would have thought of something so profound and heartfelt to do for Mia. You are such a thoughtful, soulful person, Debbie.
♥♥♥Lisa