Monday, January 30, 2012

Dr. Who?

Any fans of the BBC show, Dr. Who, out there? My daughter loves this show and has been trying to get me to watch it forever. Well, for at least a year. Finally, over this past college break I watched the last two seasons with her....and I am now hooked! Thinking back, I have always been a fan of Sci-Fi shows and books...Lost in Space (dating myself here), Star Trek & some of the sequels, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, The Time Traveler's Wife, Somewhere in Time, Merlin--the list goes on and on.

Some of the plots in Dr. Who are interwoven and you need to stay on your toes--here is where it helps to watch it with someone who has seen each episode numerous times! I won't be spoiling anything if I tell you Dr. Who is about a time traveling alien. The episodes are well thought out, and I especially love the ones where The Doctor (no, his name is NOT Dr. Who) goes back in time to interact with famous people--Winston Churchill, Hitler, and Vincent Van Gogh to name a few.

There are also some re-occurring monsters, one of which is my daughter's favorite, Weeping Angels. They are statues. If you come across one of these denizens, Don't Blink! They can't move while you are looking at them. Which now (finally) brings me to the point of this post...
I found a pattern for a crocheted weeping angel on Ravelry! I used worsted weight acrylic yarn so it came out bigger than the pattern said, but I love how she came out & hope my daughter does, too. It will be in her Valentine's Day package from home.

Are you a fan of Sci-Fi?

For anyone interested, I have just added a new section to my shop...called "Last Chance Clearance". These items have been reduced & will only be available until they expire--they will not be renewed!

11 comments:

Beadwright said...

I too am a Sci Fi fan love the old ones as well as the so called new ones.
This is so cool that you found the pattern. Great job.
Nicole/Beadwright

Crystal said...

Love Sci Fi...never heard of Dr. Who though. I'll have to check it out. :-)

Magic Love Crow said...

Debbie, Dr. Who, sounds so cool! I have to start watching it! I love Sci-Fi too! Merlin? You mean the t.v show? You watch it? Mom and I watch it saturday night! We love it!!! Wouldn't miss it! Debbie, I LOVE your weeping angel! You truly amaze me! Something else you could do for your shop, along with your stone faces ;o) How exciting! Sale? I have to look! Big Hugs ;o)

Melissa said...

I used to watch Dr Who after school when I was a kid. I haven't really started with the new one.

We love Sci-Fi (and Sci-Fantasy).

Let see - some favorites are Babylon5, Firefly, Crusade, Highlander (Fantasy), and Farscape.

Decor To Adore said...

Who is Dr. Who? :)

Love your lil angel.

IrelandBrady said...

Your little weeping angel is precious Debbie!

I'm afraid I have never seen "Dr. Who" either ...

Regina said...

Love Sci-Fi!! (especially Monday nights.vampires,werewolves,ghosties and faeries)

I haven't seen Dr. Who in a long time. I will have to see if we get it down here. You did an outstanding job on the angel. What a great Valentine gift!!!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Yes, Merlin, the TV Show! We really like it too!

Sunshineshelle said...

The Weeping Angels scared my kids - actually totally freaky, they have been in 2 episodes (& name checked in others), they were so scary Trinity my youngest who was about 10 at the time was going to school camp & I had to write a note in the 'phobias' section..."Weeping Angels" I swear the school thinks we are a pack of nutters... my fave 'Dr Who's" are David Tennent & Matt Smith, quirky funny (& Matt has River a 50ish year old as a girlfriend ;)) Your daughter did the right thing introducing you to that show it's a family fav!!! I was a wee Aussie when I used to stay tuned each week for the next "Lost in Space" & still have a soft spot for Billy Mummy, I was so excited when I spotted him in Lenier in Babylon 5 (Brilliant Show)... the new Battlestar Galattica was unbelievable - we go as a family to 'SupaNova' each year, trek down to BrisVegas & stay the weekend, it has cosplay, sci-fi, manga, just a heap of geeks gathering to celebrate something other than sport LOL, we have a ball... ahh thanks for the trip down memory lane - Billy Mummy what a sweetie!

Sunshineshelle said...

PS LOOOOOOOOVE your Weeping Angel!!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant!!!!

New End Studio said...

I have a love/hate relationship with that show. I love to watch and hate being scared...the weeping angels - scary. Planet of the Ood, that was another icky and sad episode. Your knitted angel is terrific.