Friday, December 2, 2011

IA Challenge-English Literature

Here is my entry this week--a bit bungled. The first thing I thought of when I read the Inspiration Avenue challenge was English Literature was that I would never come up with anything for this one! I was totally blank! My daughter is an Anglophile, and our home is filled with many things British, but that didn't help either. Finally I had it...I created this ACEO as a tribute to Elizabeth Barrett Browning's love sonnet:


How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

What you might not know is that this is also called, "Sonnet 43". So what is the bungled part? Well, my great idea was to draw 43 hearts all woven together with a leafy vine. So far, so good...until I didn't check before I started drawing & thought it was Sonnet 46! So there are 46 hearts, Mea Culpa, Mrs. Browning!

10 comments:

New End Studio said...

That's pretty, extra hearts too.

Tracey Fletcher KIng said...

That is just the sort of error I would make.... great take on it and I love the interpretation... and what's a few extra hearts among friends????

Melissa said...

You are funny!!

It would make a fabulous book cover, enlarged.

Regina said...

No one can have to many beautiful hearts....I love this piece!!!

Magic Love Crow said...

You are so cute and funny! LOL! Love the aceo! You did a beautiful job ;o)

Deb said...

lol...love it...

Flowermouse Design said...

Beautiful!! And so great to have more hearts than you need - one can never get enough of them. Have a great weekend and a very great craft show!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Honestly, no one would have counted if you hadn't said something. But honesty is always the best policy and these hearts are fabulous. What a clever way to meet this challenge.

WrightStuff said...

What's another heart or three among friends?!

Michelle V. Alkerton said...

Your interpretation makes me smile :). Much less sinister than my Raven. lol
Stay inspired!