Thursday, November 10, 2011

This week at Inspiration Avenue, Hettienne chose the theme to be inspired from any form of needlework. "Where there are needlework, there is art and there are memories and stories to be shared. Share with us your creations that tells the stories that were sewn into your heart!"

I created an ACEO for the challenge. I started with a stencil and after some cutting with a craft knife and punching with a needle, I sewed in the color. I did simple weaving in the center for a little texture.

I would also like to share a quilt that I made many years ago which also fits this theme. Have you ever loved a piece of clothing so much that you couldn't bear to part with it--even though it was long past it's wearable life? Or maybe, you don't get that attached to clothing. I sometimes do, as I did with this shirt. I've always liked jungle animals and safari-type clothing (think the old,original Banana Republic), and when this shirt wore out, I was sad to let go. Then I took a quilting class and realized that I could incorporate it into a quilt. Here is the result...Attic Windows Pattern:
Now I know it is only Thursday, but I am going to wish everyone a happy, creative weekend anyway. My daughter is coming home tonight for the long weekend, but I promise I'll get around to see everyone's IA challenge art!

20 comments:

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

I'm always in aww of needlework and quilt making! I love how your flower turned out, especially the leaves- they look so smooth!

Have a great weekend with your daughter.

Regina said...

Such talent with those fingers of yours. I love the flower..very fall and the quilt...it's a beauty!!

HUGS,
Regi

Terrie said...

What a great idea to stitch over a stencil! It would be a great addition to a greeting card ... hmmmm. And your quilt is just gorgeous. I always liked that pattern and it's so pretty with the floral print behind. Great contributions!

Lori said...

Love that Stitching and that quilt will match my bedroom perfectly!! HINT HINT!!! LOL! Beautiful!

Deb said...

you are so talented girl...love that quilt...

Flowermouse Design said...

Debbie, you´re truly amazing. I just love your aceo. It´s so delicate and well done. You´re so skilled!!! And I loved your story about the quilt and that you managed to use a dear item in a new way. How creative. Have a lovely weekend too!!!!!

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, amazing job on the aceo!! You keep surprising me! You are truly creative!! And, I love what you did with the shirt! I have a sweatshirt I have to get rid of soon ;o( I've had it since 1998! LOL! But, I love it so much!! Have fun with your daughter ;o) Big Hugs!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Debbie, your ACEO is unbelievable. I am in total awe. And I would never in a million years try to make a quilt, even a single block! Good for you. Saving the shirt shows how much you loved it and how frugal you can be.

Have a super weekend with your daughter and let's hope you don't have bad weather. Sorry to read about the craft fair. I hope the one in December is better.

Melissa said...

I like the warm colors of both the card and the quilt.

Hi, I'm Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I love the idea of taking a cherished piece of clothing and creating such a wonderful work of art!

Tracey Fletcher KIng said...

Cards from stencils and quilts from shorts!!!! This challenge was made for you... The needlework on the card is soooo neat it is freaking me out a bit.... but I love it all the same xx

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Hi Debbie - I'm back! :) I so love your ACEO - you did a wonderful job. And that quilt - well, it's just amazing! Enjoy the long weekend with your daughter!!! :)

artangel said...

Your sunflower is lovely - I like the idea of colouring with thread! Your quilt is fabulous too - so much work in there. I'm so in awe of anyone who can sew properly!

priti.lisa said...

I adore that sunflower! And the quilt!...I wouldn't know where to begin...it is absolutely beautiful!

Stephanie Mealor Corder said...

I LOVE your sunflower- what a great way to approach this challenge! And that quilt!!! Wow, I always wanted to create something like that from my children's baby clothes, but alas, I cannot sew a stitch much less an entire quilt!

Glenda T. said...

I am in awe of those that can sew, gorgeous projects!!

Michelle V. Alkerton said...

I so love your flower :).
Stay inspired!

Sunshineshelle said...

Debbie I swear I left a comment here, I think a little gremlin is stealing them LOL) Love these pieces as always your work is great, both new & old! You have a wonderful weekend with your daughter - enjoy :)

kirstin mcculloch said...

This is lovely - what a great idea!

art2cee2 said...

Both pieces are fantastic. You know I once cut out pieces from my daughter's receiving blankets in order to make a quilt and unfortunately the pieces are still somewhere stored in my basement. I did make a quilt out of Redskin t-shirts for my brother who is a fan...t-shirt fabric...awful to sew and I'll never do another but it came out pretty good