Monday, November 28, 2011

Signs of a bad winter?

Have you looked at the squirrels in your backyard lately? Are their tails extra bushy? Did you see less acorns littering the ground earlier in Autumn? These are just two of the signs that some believe will predict a bad winter ahead. I don't know about the first, but I have had trouble beating the squirrels to finding a lot of acorns to craft with this year. And why would I want to craft with acorns? Glad you asked! Because I saw an awesome post on a blog I follow called MegaCrafty where Meg created some really neat ones. She inspired me to make some of my own. First I have to tell you, Meg has the right title for her blog--she is just loaded with fun craft ideas and recipes--enough to keep me busy for a long time! Got left over cranberry sauce? Try her muffin recipe. Anyway, after seeing her post, here is what I made:
The top two are painted and they sealed with decoupage glue. The bottom four are wet felted--and boy does she have a great tip for felting balls!
Next I got creative with polymer clay and made these:
They are actually acorns covered with clay that I matched to some spare caps I had. I display them on our buffet in the dining room.

Thanks to Meg for this really fun project!

12 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I look at Bleubeard. I think he has gained 10 lbs since summer, when he was the thinnest he has ever been. Now he's even heavier, which suggests a hard winter.

You have come up with some really cute ways to work with acorns. I'm quite impressed, especially with the wet felting! You show the BEST ideas.

Lori said...

Those are awesome! Never would have thought of paining them either. And Yes--the squirrels here are beating me to the acorns!

Melissa said...

I like the painted ones - something completely new to me - so simple it seems silly no one thought of it before.

I also like the pc earth one.

Flowermouse Design said...

I love these - the felted ones are amazing. Really nature like. And I wonder - my cats tail is bushy... Does that count??? LOL!!

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, these are so cool!! I love them all! Well done my friend! You should sell some too ;o) Take Care ;o)

Deb said...

the squirrels have been extra busy around here this year...so cute what you did with the acorns...

New End Studio said...

Such great acorns, and variety. I haven't noticed the tails, but will have to look for them now that you've said. Hope they're skinny.

Faerie Moon Creations said...

I just LOVE acorns!!!! I certainly hope it's not going to be a rough winter; we had about three years worth of snow last year. I LOVE snow - don't get me wrong - but even I was tired of it at the end! LOL I just adore all the crafty acorn goodies you made!

priti.lisa said...

I love them all! especially the 'earth' one!
♥♥♥

art2cee2 said...

These acorns are so cool!:-)

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

They all came out so great but I LOVE the clay idea! Such a cute way to cover the acorns. And the blue and green one reminds me of the globe (wouldn't that be a perfect little earth day charm).

Thanks so much for the links and flattering things you had to say about my blog. I truly appreciate it!

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

Oh and I just remembered something about squirrels- This year they ATE the pumpkins we had on the porch. And I'm not talking about the nibbles we usually get on them here and there. I'm talking about every single pumpkin eaten inside and out. The only things left were the stems and a few bits of the bottom. That's never happened before, and it was right before we had that freak October snowstorm. So as much as I don't want to believe that we'll have another snow filled I tend to think the squirrels do... and they are probably right!