Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Even though the last few days have been unseasonably mild here in upstate New York, I have been getting the urge to pull out my yarn, crochet hooks, and knitting needles which I have not used in a long time. Fortunately, it is like riding a bike, you never forget once you have done it! I have been very inspired by a blog called Flowermouse. Lone is a very prolific knitter whose pace I can only dream of matching, and her blog is an explosion of color. She also creates beautiful items in polymer clay and felting! Anyway, she has inspired me to make something, and the first something I made is this crocheted baby hoodie. It was a free pattern from Bernat yarns--you know, one of those tear offs you find in the yarn aisle. I used a regular worsted weight yarn because I wanted it to be heavier, like a jacket. I plan to give it to our friend's daughter for her new baby girl at Christmastime.
I'm going a bit yarn crazy--don't know if it is the cold snap, freaky early snowstorm in October, or the fact that I lost so much of my yarn in the flood earlier in the summer. The adage "What you don't use, you lose" keeps playing in my mind, though I know it is not about the same thing. I also made another crochet project which I can't show yet because it is a gift for someone who reads my blog. I have a crocheted baby blanket (for no one in particular) started, a knitted scarf for me and as soon as my tunisian crochet hook comes in the mail, I will be making two more gifts that I also cannot describe yet.

So, do you knit or crochet? Do you, like me, get the urge to do either when the weather turns cooler? Do tell!

4 comments:

Flowermouse Design said...

Debbie, I´m so touched by your words. What an honor. Thank you so so much. And the baby jacket is extremely cute. You are so good with the crochet hook!!! I´ve knitted a baby jacket and a hat to it - and have to wait showing it. It´s also a gift for a newborn later in desember...

New End Studio said...

The jacket is lovely! I used to crochet years ago, nothing fancy- a totebag, scarves, little things like that. I'd like to take it up again, someday.

P.S. I noticed one squirrel yesterday and he had a skinny tail. Our weather has been erratic temp wise, so maybe they're not intune with the prediction of a rough winter. Hope they stay skinny tailwise.

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

Great job with the hoodie! I knit and spin, I wish I new how to crochet but can't seem to understand it. I've done many lesson swaps with friends who crochet but didn't knit and while they all seem to be able to learn knitting with out a problem I still can't pick up crochet.

And I definitely get the urge to knit and spin as soon as the weather turns cooler!

Magic Love Crow said...

This little sweater is so darn cute ;o) Great job Debbie! You are so talented! I love Lone's blog! I agree with everything you said! My mom has tried so many times to teach me to knit and crochet, but I just can't get it! Maybe one day :o) Hugs my friend ;o)