Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween Everyone!

We have a state of emergency here and are a disaster area. Saturday, we were hit with a rogue snowstorm and got 12" of wet heavy snow that downed trees & power lines. 35 (yes you read that right) roads in our immediate are were/are closed. This is not the start of a thriller novel...it's my reality right now. I temporarily have my computer hooked up to the generator but won't risk that for long because it's not a clean connection & may damage the computer. There is no estimate yet for when we will get electric back, but I've heard by the end of the week.

We are so so thankful that our neighbor had just hooked up our generator to the house with a transfer switch. We have heat, water, and minimal other electric. We've been feeding him along with our good friends across the street. There is a real sense of community in this neighborhood.

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know what is going on if you don't hear from me for a few days. My crow friend, if you see this, thank you--I'll get everything to you soon--not sure the post office is even open yet.

Hope everyone else that may have been in the path of this storm is safe and warm.

10 comments:

Lori said...

Stay Safe and warm! I was wondering how you were and was sure you were probably buried in snow. Our local news says it can be up to a week before some areas there have power restored. Hope it doesn't really take them that long--

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh Debbie, how AWFUL for you, but at least you have a generator. I'm happy for that and that you can stay safely in your home while the rest of the world goes on with their daily business. Hope you have enough food for everyone.

Sorry I missed you for IA. I was simply not around this past weekend. LOVE the chameleon, though!

Beadwright said...

I still have a candle going for you. Stay safe.
Nicole/Beadwright

IrelandBrady said...

God bless generators! It hasn't been since the 1970's that we experienced an outage of that magnitude. Happy to hear you have a neighborhood that looks out for one another ... maybe at times like this, its God's way of letting us know how much we are truly blessed with.

New End Studio said...

Hope it won't be very long before you and your neighbors are restored with electricity. It's good to have helpful hands at times like this. Be warm, too.

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, I am so sorry for everything! I am happy that you have such a good community! Be safe and be warm! Please don't worry about me!! Take Care of yourself! BIG HUGS!!!

she dreams big! said...

Oh no! Snowstorms like this usually happen in Nebraska but we have had beautiful weather so far. Not that I'm rubbing it in! I hope this is the last of the snow for you and that we don't EVER get any! lol! I could live without ever seeing another snowflake. I hate winter! Stay warm!

Melissa said...

I will pray for your safety...

art2cee2 said...

You poor thing! I hope that everything goes back to normal soon! :-)

Flowermouse Design said...

Debbie, just after all the water... OH NO!! I saw this on TV here. And I´ve been thinking about you!! Here in Norway we are the exact opposite - warm for this time of year. We are happy about that - but seems like you got the snow instead.... Hope everything is better now - I´m just glad that you´re all safe!!!!!