Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Appreciating what is around me

I see you even if you don't see me! Cardinals are perhaps my favorite bird (next to flamingos, but since there aren't any of those flying around my yard, I gotta go with what I have), but they are so skittish & hard to photograph. I finally got a photo from inside by climbing up on a chair, hiding behind a hanging plant & shooting through a clear window. It was worth it!
Looking out our back door (without my glasses on, LOL) I saw what looked like a pile of whitish stuff on the lawn. After finding a bone on the roof (post)I didn't want to imagine what creature dropped whatever this pile was. But on closer examination...I found the sweetest mushroom village ever!
Walking back to the house I saw some raindrops suspended in mid-air! Kidding! It was a spider web in the lawn!
Lastly, I leave you with a photo of what is now growing on my vines--a gourd! Let me explain...I had some seeds, planted them & when I planted the cucumbers I put the gourd plants way done the end of the trellis--and then promptly forgot about them. Well, they took off & when I looked at them, they looked different, they were lighter green & had "bumps" under the flowers but didn't seem to be doing much else.
Soooooo, I pulled them all out! Later on, they started growing again & I found this gourd & realized what I had done. Chagrined but ready to try again next year!
It's hard getting older, but the best thing is that October, being my birth month, is when I announce a surprise, so stay tuned on Friday for the advanced announcement heard here first! Oh yes, my giveaway one post up will also be announced in a separate post at noon on Friday--still time to enter if you are interested! Phew! Long post--thanks for sticking with me!

8 comments:

New End Studio said...

With all the rain we had in the spring, we had mushrooms growing, too, looked different than yours, but still a bit strange to find them all over the backyard. That cardinal shot is good and the spider web... amazing.

Melissa said...

Those are the coolest looking mushrooms - glad for you it wasn't some monstrous pile of bones!!

art2cee2 said...

Fantastic photos...glad you got the one of the cardinal...such a pretty bird. I also must phtograph fronm inside...but try taking one of a hummingbird...tough

Magic Love Crow said...

Fantastic post! I'm glad you didn't fall getting that cardinal picture! Great photo! Oh, and I love your magic mushrooms ;o) Goes well with the aceo you just got ;o))) And, the spider web in the lawn, so cool! Love your gourd, poor cucumbers!! Have a great day! Will e-mail soon ;o) Catching up!

IrelandBrady said...

I love your photo of the mushrooms, has the makings for a great fairy village!

Deb said...

we do have a lot in common...I love cardinals too...Happy Birthday Month....

Lori said...

Gorgeous Pictures Deb! I Love cardinals too but we dont have them here!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

I SO loved this post!!!! Such gorgeous photos of nature's wonders. :) Thank you so much - this really made me smile. :)