Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Orchids

Did you know that there are over 20,000 species or Orchids? Many more if you could the man-made hybrids. They grow nearly all over the world; perhaps the only location they do not grow is in icy remote locations. They've been studied, cataloged, and sought after since the early 1800s. There are even a group of orchids named after the First Ladies. I have never tried to grow these delicate blooms--I'm more of a cactus girl LOL--but I sure do enjoy beading them:


Have a great Tuesday!

10 comments:

Talking Horses Arts said...

Ahh beautiful! Love orchids as long as i don't have to grow them that is.
They seem to be very complex to keep alive lol. My mother has one and when she talks about tending to it, i remind myself that with 6 cats and 3 dogs its not going to happen to keep an orchid alive.
Instead i will stick with watching your gorgeous creations. Thanks for sharing.
Andrea.

Regina said...

Such beauties Debbie!! My Dad use to grow orchids and loved tending to them. He made a small green house for them and when coming home from work each day after giving us a hug he would head out to his tiny haven. Ohh a memory long forgotten...thank you.

Hugs

Melissa said...

They remind me a bit of Minnesota's state flower the Lady Slipper - very pretty...

Lori said...

Very Pretty Deb. I love orchids--can't grow them but I love them!

Magic Love Crow said...

Deb, I didn't know that about orchids. You did a beautiful job beading them! I like the new bracelets you have been doing in your shop! Have a great day!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Thanks, Stacy! I am trying to think of more "flat" flowers to make more. I guess I could always remake the ones that sold.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Hey Melissa--I was going to make Lady Slippers!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Thanks Lori & Andrea! I love them, too, but I can't grow them either!

Beadwright said...

These are AWESOME!!!! Some of your best.
Nicole/Beadwright

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Beautiful orchids!!! :)