Monday, August 15, 2011

A New Art (At least for me!)

I have always wanted to try my hand at making chainmail jewelry and was intrigued when I read a review on Treasures Found: Inspiration is Everywhere.
I was delighted when the subject of the review, Scott David Plumlee, gifted me with a kit to make his fabulous Romanov Earrings just for making a comment on the that post. Plumlee is well known in the chainmail world and has been featured in Wirework Magazine as well as being the author of several books on chainmail jewelry.

The kit arrived with everything but the tools and although it was probably a little more difficult, I plodded along with my available pliers. In retrospect, they might have come out neater had I had the right pliers, but I was still able to execute the many openings and closing of jump rings. The directions in the kit were accompanied by color photos that made the process so easy & clear--I had no trouble at all figuring out the design and completing the earrings. Here they are:
Plumlee also had a beautiful website with DVDs, books, kits, tutorials and a gallery of finished pieces of jewelry. If you've ever considered trying this art, stop by his website--you'll be glad you did. There are so many fascinating patterns and kits at very reasonable prices!

11 comments:

art2cee2 said...

These earrings are just beautiful! :-)

Talking Horses Arts said...

They are stunning Moose!
Absolutely love them.
Andrea.
( p.s
working on the "egg" post today hoping to post it later on..lol)

Regina said...

Debbie...WOW, I love these. Thank you for the info on this. I have been reading more and more about it and I have to say..it intrigues me ^_^

Happy Monday Hugs!!

Beadwright said...

wow wow wowowowowow great job!! I love the simple elegance of these earrings.
Nicole/Beadwright

Mellisa said...

Great start considering you didn't have the correct pliers!

Lisa Criswell / Indigo's Beads said...

wow, debbie! these are beautiful! i've been wanting to do chain maille for a while too, and even though i have some pages and patterns bookmarked i still feel a little intimidated. i'm going to go to this guy's website and check it out. the earrings are so pretty!!!

Melissa said...

Lovely - very pretty and perfect for the Renaissance Festival... :)

Purple Pony Art said...

I love how you're always trying something new :-) I bet combining each earring piece together would make a fabulous matching necklace.

Magic Love Crow said...

Wow, good for you Debbie ;o) Excellent ;o)

Lori said...

Very Pretty Deb! Love the simplicity of the style but it still looks complicated--LOL!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Oh I LOVE chain maille jewelry!!! :) Will you be making more??? (kind of a non subtle hint here)