Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I'm back, well sort of.

Irene proved herself to be a formidable opponent in this area that is not so used to hurricanes.
Our electricity went out at 3:30 am Sunday and just came back on last night at 9:30 pm. Even though the storm lost a lot of its punch before it hit here, we received a massive amount of rain. Without power, of course, our two sump pumps were useless, & we woke up Sunday morning to a foot of water in the basement. When the rain slowed by midday, we hooked the pumps, freezer & fridge up to the generator that we bought 4 years ago and have yet to use. The water pumped out pretty quickly. We didn't want to leave it overnight and unfortunately, the water came back in, though just a few inches. We lost anything that was in bottom drawers or cabinets including some of my craft stuff. My driveway looks like we are moving with the piles of garbage.

All of our surrounding neighbors--in fact, anyone with a basement in this area got flooded. Our phones are still out & cell phones work sporadically. I know there are many who had it worse than us and I am thankful that we are safe, our home is intact, & were able to save most of the food.

I think we are finally getting it...we just can't have a finished basement. We are both tired of ripping up/drying out rugs and doing the clean up.

We drive our daughter back to college on Sunday so the scramble is on to do laundry, pack and try to get as much wet stuff out of the basement as quickly as we can. Not sure if I will be blogging much this week. If you were in the path of this storm, I hope all is well in your area. I'm thinking of you and will catch up with you soon!
Taken on Monday after much of the water receded back into the lake:
These last two photos show the water going over the spillway which is normally at a trickle or not even flowing at all:
We are a block away from this area and we can hear it roaring! It reminds me when we went to Niagara Falls & starting walking towards it--the sound was much more powerful, of course!

13 comments:

Flowermouse Design said...

Debbie, I´ve been thinking about you all weekend. I´m happy to hear that you and your family is ok. But the celler - oh no. My prayers are with you. A big hug!!

Deb said...

so glad your power is back on...and you are all okay...

mentalmulch said...

Glad to hear that everything is ok...well not your basement though. Ours got water also...hate basements. Try to enjoy your week. Hugs. :)

Talking Horses Arts said...

Welcome back Moose!
Happy to hear your back and you and yours are safe.
Sorry to hear about the flooding but like you said it could be worse.I hope that everything will turn to normal for you as soon as possible.
Thinking of you and wishing you , yours and everyone out there
all the best.
Andrea.

she dreams big! said...

I'm glad the only damage you had was a wet basement but I know that it is such a mess to clean up! Take care!

Magic Love Crow said...

Debbie, I am so sorry about everything! I am glad no one was hurt and that you have power now ;o) Big Hugs!!!

mumsysramblings said...

I am so sorry to hear that you lost some things, but I sure am happy to know you are safe. I hope the basement dries out quickly and you have no more problems, Hugs

Deborah said...

Hi Debbie..we were hit by Irene also but thank God the damage was minimal and we didn't lose our electric...I am sending you hugs!

Melissa said...

I am glad you are well...it is a bummer to lose what you lost but I bet you are very glad it was not worse.

Nature really is amazing.

IrelandBrady said...

Oh my! You have had more than your fair share of nasty weather! Hope the next storm doesn't head your way too!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

I'm glad that all of your family is fine. Although the storm was slightly less powerful once it reached us, it certainly took a toll on the power grids in the state. There are still over 130,000 homes without power. We were fortunate that we only lost internet/phone/cable for about 16 hours. I felt awful for those who lost power for many days.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's nice to know that you are safe and OK. I also know what it's like to deal with a flooded basement. I finally gave upon carpeting and went with paint. Hope you get back in shape soon and get your craft supplies refurnished, too.

Purple Pony Art said...

I can't imagine facing all that water. Thank goodness your power is back and that everyone was safe. I was really worried about my East coast friends...kept checking Facebook and stuff!!