Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Don't go near hungry animals...

with food! This happened 12 years ago and I am happy that I am alive to tell about it. It was August, and our family was visiting a Zoo in Canada near Niagara Falls. The name of the Zoo escapes me--I have probably suppressed it deep in my subconscious. While walking around, we encountered these:
These were the cutest, most well behaved bears, and no, they are not the animals that attacked me. These bears were sitting in a lake down below and were very patiently and politely waiting for marshmallows to be thrown to them. See the cutie splashing the water for attention?
Enter one little girl--yup, she is mine. She just loved the deer and wanted her photo taken hugging them. Cute so far, right?
Next the same little girl starts pleading to feed them. So like a good Mom & Dad we buy a paper cup of feed. Here is the scene: You will notice who has the feed (Mom) and who has taken refuge on the bench (Little girl).
As more and more deer get wind of what is going on...little girl seeks refuge with her Dad & leaves Mom to fend for herself. Not only was I overwhelmed with the amount of deer pushing to get to me, but they were nibbling my belt, my socks, my shirt--anything they could get their little lips on! I started laughing, of course, before I really started panicking and just threw the cup of seed down & escaped!
Video exists, but I keep it hidden.

No animals or humans were harmed during this episode. A lot funnier experience than the dog. Thanks for all the nice comments!

14 comments:

Kristen said...

I can't remember the name either but it was a fun Zoo. OMG you were so close to me!

Talking Horses Arts said...

Is it bad if i say this is too funny?! I understand you panicking that were a lot of deer,but its a wonderful story. Thanks so much for sharing and we all happy to have you still with us. Instead of being eating by the deer :).
Andrea.

she dreams big! said...

Debbie, you need to stay AWAY from all animals! Obviously, they have your number and know who they can harass! Just think, they expect little kids to feed these hungry beasts! But aren't these deer just the cutest things?

mumsysramblings said...

This made me smile...glad you escaped all those hungry deer. It brought back memories of a similar incident that happened with me only it was goats at a petting zoo. They were butting and pushing me and nibbling on my shirt. Loved this post and the pictures. Hugs

Deb said...

oh my gosh...I had that happen with ducks when I was 8 or 9....scared me to death...went running to my Mom...with a pack of ducks around me..

Magic Love Crow said...

OMG Deb!! I am laughing, sorry! LOL! I really love the pictures!! And, I would love to see the video ;o) At least everyone is perfectly fine and you are able to talk about it so many years after ;o) And, hopefully have a good laugh out of it ;o) Take Care ;o)

Regina said...

Girl...I knew we were kindred spirits..LOL!!! Loved the story and it brought to mind one that I have apparently suppressed WAYYYY back in my memories. Just so you don't feel alone..here it is...I was in high school and we went to Busch gardens on vacation. They of course had the petting zoo with the deers and goats and such. Well...they had these little machines (kinda like gumball machines)where you could buy food. I went to put my quarter in and as soon as I twisted it and opened the little door I was pushed out of the way by one of the biggest goats I have ever seen. My Dad started crying....not because I was hurt but because he thought it was the funniest thing he had ever seen. Funny...they were standing by me when it all started and then "POOF" they were over the fence.

Hugs and smiles,
Regi

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Thanks for sharing some of your stories, and yes, it is ok to laugh! These were tame, but hungry baby deer in a petting area! We continue to laugh about this these 12 years later!

The video is hilarious, but you won't see it here!

Melissa said...

I've never had quite that experience but I've sure heard of plenty of people who've had similar experiences with various animals...

I could see where it would be rather unnerving.

Sunshineshelle said...

Goodness, your not exactly the 'deer whisperer' LOL, love the bears LOVE the post :)

art2cee2 said...

that is so funny. i think my daughter had the same sort of thing happen at a petting zoo with goats. I didn't snap and photos like you did though! ;-)

Beadwright said...

Funny funny funny. You made me chuckle. Glad you are OK too. LOL
Nicole/Beadwright

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Oh my goodness! That's a lot of deer - and hungry ones, too! Thanks for sharing!!!

Purple Pony Art said...

That is so crazy Deb! Eeek...the time I was chased by ducks in a park pales in comparison.