Thursday, July 28, 2011

Lake Monster! Beware!

On my last solo walk around the lake, I was almost attacked by a loose German Shepard. It came running out of nowhere, snarling and I had that adrenaline rush you get when you know you can't do anything about what is about to happen. I screamed & luckily the owner called the dog & he immediately went towards the owner. I was quite shaken up to say the least. Oh yeah, the owner did yell, "Sorry!" Humph.

My walks are usually beautiful, but not that eventful. This is a typical scene:
One of the resident herons that live around the lake sunning himself on a rock. Isn't he gorgeous?

I'm sure you are all familiar with the Loch Ness Monster, right? We visited Loch Ness back in 2007; no matter how hard we searched or for how long, Nessie did not make an appearance on that trip. But on another recent walk around our lake...what is that ripple in the water?
I watched it moving away from me and saw it "dive". There was a bit of big fin tail, and it was gone. So I continued on my way...and saw it again on the way back.
It was heading towards the beach which was deserted at the early hour...
So I walked out on the dock. Can you see it in the water...right there! Wait, I'll get closer....
OMG! It's the biggest water rat I have ever seen! Obviously collecting cut grass to build a nest.
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water after JAWS!

13 comments:

Flowermouse Design said...

Oh Debbie, what a beautiful surrounding you have where you live!! Apart from those dogs... I was just wondering if Nessie had moved to your lake - when I saw that rat!!! Gosh - it´s huge!!! Thank you for the guided tour and for your photos!!!

Beadwright said...

You have me cracking up about the river rat. A very nice walk around the lake though. As for the dog and his owner, I'd be having words with him.
Nicole/Beadwright

Lori said...

Yikes-- That brought back a Flashback-- Glad the guy was there to call his dog back and it just wasn't running free. Gave me the shudders thinking about it. Water Rats? I think Id rather swim with sharks...LOL!! EEEWWWWWWW!

Regina said...

Debbie...the lake is beautiful!! I love Herrons..they are so majestic looking.

WOW...seeing two monsters on one walk. That would have been one to many for me. I will take the German Sheppard any day...LOL

HUGS

chancythegardner said...

I am sure glad that dog was obedient and return to the owner when called. I bet your were pretty frantic for awhile. Beautiful scenery in the pictures. What a nice place to walk if there are no monsters around. Hugs

Kokopelli said...

The last thing I was attacked by was a group of young cattle. Too curious to stop at the fence. No fun when 60 cows are following you and knock over the fence with a big crack..... Love the water rat!

Deb said...

oh my gosh so glad you are okay...great photos....looks like a nice place for a walks

Sunshineshelle said...

RATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG ICKKKKKYYYYY :(
By the way I visited Loch Ness years ago, saw nothing (which may have been better than the rat) ;)
Thanks for joining in my group hug too, sorry you got a little squished, at least Magaly didn't grab your butt LOL, not sure who'd that was it was so crowded ;)

Melissa said...

Not a fan of Ratty from Wind in the Willows?

Magic Love Crow said...

Debbie, sorry about the dog!! Your lake is gorgeous!! Water rat?? I never knew there was such a thing??? LOL! Thanks for sharing ;o)

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Sorry to hear about the dog incident! Thankfully the owner was there, but he didn't really sound sincere in that apology. Gee whiz! I've never seen a water rat!!! My goodness!!! Sorry you had such a (not good) eventful day!

Lutka And Co. said...

How interesting, I've never heard/seen a water rat before. Carry a walking stick, I'm thinking of getting one - it can be used for more than one purpose :-)

Kristen said...

Water Rats! EWWWWWW! But I am sure it was kinda cool to watch. As for the dog I am so glad you weren't hurt!