Monday, November 8, 2010

Autumn in the Hudson Valley

 A few weeks ago, my husband & I decided to hike up to the Mt. Ninham Fire Tower. The tower was built in the 1940s & up until the 80s was still used as a lookout tower for forest fires. It was named after Daniel Ninham, who was the last chief of the Wappinger Indians who lived in this area in the late 1700s. It has recently been renovated & is now open to the public to explore. The walk was a steady uphill incline of about 20 degrees & took 25 minutes to reach the top.
 Along the way, we came upon this stone chamber. There are several of these all around Putnam & the surrounding counties. There is a lot of speculation on who built them & for what purpose, depending on who you talk to. Once popular theory is that they were built by the Druids on spots of strong magnetic activity.
 I'm not sure what they were used for, but in any case, I didn't stay inside too long, LOL!
 This was the object of our hike. Sorry this & the next photo are sideways--I can't figure out how to right them. But, we did climb up!
 Taken from the bottom of the tower.
 Through the trap door...yes it is a popular spot for kids to climb up & leave their initials. Once at the top, it was very sturdy, although it did not have windows so my legs did get a bit shaky!
 Enjoy a few views from different sides...
 A helicopter (probably military) happened by!
 They say on a clear day you can see the New York City Skyline...we'll have to wait until another day for that. It was a beautiful day, but on the cloudy side.
Hope you enjoyed the hike!

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Loved this hike! Nothing beats NY in autumn, it was gorgeous here too in the Genesee Valley and Fingerlakes region!

Lori said...

WOW- Beautiful. I thought I saw a Hobbit behind you in that stone hideaway. LOL! What a fun day it must have been! I love hiking to our Lookout tower as well.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

LOL Lori--some say the ghost of Daniel Ninham walks the woods. I think I would have got down the mountain a whole lot faster if I had seen Anything!

Magic Love Crow said...

Wow, loved the hike! Wish I was with you! I don't know if I would have made it up the tower!! My legs would have been shaking too! Love the little stone chamber! Very cool!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Oh, how lovely! I will have to remember this for the next time we venture into the Hudson Valley. Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos! Theresa :)