Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Vacation Dreams-Egypt Part 2


After visiting the museum it was time for a lunch cruise down the Nile River. That's our vessel on the left.

It was decorated outside and in in egyptian figures & symbols. We had a nice buffet lunch & enjoyed the band playing. There was entertainment--a belly dancer & this...???

Oh, here's a better picture! This man did a dance where part of his outfit lifted up and he spun it around and around!

After lunch we were off to see the only remaining wonder of the ancient world--the pyramids at Giza! What was once a secluded area in the desert, is slowing being encroached upon by civilization as you can see in the above photo.

Here are two of the three pyramids-The great pyramid or Pyramid of Cheops is on the left & is the largest of the three.

This is the entrance to one of the smaller pyramids.

No visit to the pyramids would be complete without a visit to the Sphinx! Head of a Pharoah and body of a lion it is thought that they were built as guardians of the tombs.

So now I know you are thinking, "Where is dream #2?" Coming right up! Before we left on vacation, I had a dream (the real kind you have while you are sleeping), that I rode a camel. Didn't say anything but the next morning my daughter says to me, "I want to ride a camel in Egypt". It was too coincidental not to follow through, so while we rode, my husband got some photos and tried not to get run over by a camel!

Yes, we screamed like two little kids the whole time! As you probably know, camels get up hind legs first so you feel like you are going to fall off. When they walk, they sway side to side, so you feel like you are going to fall off. And, when they go down it is front feet first, so you feel like you are going to fall off! Plus the animal we were on was about 7ft. tall! Needless to say we had a great time!


I hope you have enjoyed our vacation and maybe had a chuckle or two. Just two more places to go!

11 comments:

Deb said...

wow what a cool vacation....love the photos....and riding a camel how neat....

Melissa said...

Is he a whirling dervish?

The camel ride sounds like a hoot. I wouldn't want to ride one!!

Magic Love Crow said...

SO Cool Debbie!! Like I said, it brings back so many memories for me!! Have a great day!!! Aren't riding camels fun! LOL!!!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

I think you are the only person I know who has rode a camel! What an amazing thing! Thanks for sharing these great photos - I am very much enjoying the travelogue. Theresa :)

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

You were entertained by a whirling dervish. :) I wonder if we both went on the same dinner cruise?
Hopefully you didn't come home with the same gift that I did. Salmonella poisoning.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Oh how awful, Laura! Fortunately, the three of us remained healthy during the whole trip. We brought our own bottled water (purchased in Greece) to Israel & Egypt.

Marie S said...

I love the man with his wild costume. Oh how fun.
And the camel ride, too funny!! In the last pis of you and your daughter on the camel, the camel looks like he is posing too.
What a great trip.

How does the house feel? A little empty?? Is she doing ok?
I hope she is doing well.
Love and hugs.

she dreams big! said...

Will I see your camel ride on America's Funniest Home Videos someday? Now that the camel ride is over, what else in on your bucket list!

Beadwright said...

Wow what a wonderful time. Memories for your life.
Nicole/Beadwright

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh Egypt truly is a magical place.

Thank you so very much for linking up to this week's Wayfaring Wednesday.

Bonnie said...

Such an exotic vacation. Love the camel ride pics and the dancer. Thanks for sharing with all of us.