Friday, August 27, 2010

Vacation Dreams-Crete & back to Athens-Finale!

Our last port of call on the cruise portion of our trip was to the largest Greek island of Crete. Unfortunately, due to heavy headwinds we got to Crete late. One & a half hours was not nearly enough time to explore this beautiful island.
We walked around the man made lake to get to the town area.
There was a small Byzantine church built into the rock. We had just about enough time to do a little shopping before returning to our ship to set sail for our overnight trip back to Athens.

We had the whole day in Athens & decided to take one more tour--this time to Delphi. In ancient times, Delphi was considered the center of the world. It was an area that was dedicated to the god, Apollo, and there resided the Oracle of Apollo. People traveled far and wide to consult the oracle (priestess) who supposedly had a direct channel to Apollo. Her answers were always ambiguous and could be interpreted several ways. Once at the ruins which we climbed ever higher to view, it was almost understandable why the ancient Greeks thought this was the connection to heaven. I am going to end this journey the way it began...with a video montage. All photos from Delphi, the last is a Greek Sphinx in the museum. Enjoy!

Thanks, for coming along on our vacation. Hope you have enjoyed! Have a wonderful weekend!

8 comments:

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I lived right outside of Chania (Xania) in a little town called Horafakia. Good memories. Wish you could have spent more time there.

Magic Love Crow said...

Debbie, amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing everything! I have never been to Greece. My brother has! Maybe I will go someday too ;o) Again, thanks for sharing everything!! I loved it all!!!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I wish we had more time, too, Laura. I met some lovely people though in the shops.

Thanks, Stacy, I appreciate your kind words.

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Just beautiful. I'd love to visit Greece...it sounds goofy - but I got an education on Delphi from this Nia Vardalos movie that was on TV recently. Gosh, I can't remember the name - but she was an American of Greek descent living in Greece giving tours. I fell in love with the landscape (I already love the food)!
Enjoy the weekend! Theresa

Lori said...

What a beautiful place. You have done a fanstic job of capturing the nuances of it!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Theresa, the movie is, "My Life in Ruins". I may have seen it, but I am going to watch it again with new eyes!

Thanks for the kind words, Lori!

Lynn said...

Oh my gosh, I just got done reading through all your vacation posts. Absolutely incredible. I also have always had a 'thing' for Egypt. The craftsmanship of their work is astounding.

The mosques (did I spell that right? probably not) were so beautiful. My neck would have been aching looking up all the time :)


I'm sure you came home with lots of inspiration.....

Beadwright said...

I sure wish I could be there in real life but love the photos and sharing.
Nicole/Beadwright