Monday, April 5, 2010

It's Here!



Spring, that is! I think it is really, truly here! We had a beautiful Easter weekend here in New York. The weather was sunny & warm and just right for raking out the peonies & lilies. I keep them covered over with leaves as long as I can to give them a head start. If you wait too long, you end up breaking them with the rake or cleaning out by hand--neither of which excites me! I use the tomato cages to support the lilies so they don't fall over-works great!

The container plants are already growing, too! I still do not know exactly what these are, but by August they produce the most delicate purple flowers--and if you've been reading my blog awhile, you know how I love purple!The forsynthias are in bloom, adding a splash of yellow--too bad they don't stay yellow all year--but green is nice, too! Anything is better than brown!Lastly, this is a bush that I transplanted from our other house. It makes beautiful, yes, purple, spear shaped flowers. Best of all it attracts butterflies & hummingbirds. I hope they find the bush relocated around the corner! I tried rather unsuccessfully to get some photos of the hummingbirds or perhaps hummingbird moths-not really sure yet what they were,but they had bumble bee colored bodies--maybe I'll have better luck this year!

Hope your weekend was nice! I'm looking forward to getting my creative juices flowing again!

3 comments:

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

Isn't it lovely?! We're not quite as far along as you are, but it's getting there! We have several green sprouts and a few small blooms. But, LOL, our forsythia isn't even close to yours yet LOL.

Isn't Spring the best!

Sheryl Parsons said...

Great idea for corralling your lilies! I should go see if I can even find mine yet. Aaaah Spring! Thanks for sharing the photos, and for stopping by!

Sheryl

Beadwright said...

Hey girl glad there are signs of spring there. Today we actually got a bit of sunshine. Your plants look like they will thrive. Under your good care of course.
Have a happy day
Nicole/Beadwright