Thursday, April 21, 2011

Happy Easter Eggs! (Re-post)

I am re-posting this from last year because I thought you might enjoy seeing the Ukranian Eggs I made.  Tomorrow, we are off to pick up our daughter & her roommate for the weekend which I am sure will be filled with much laughter, fun, and eating! I hope yours is too! (I tried to streamline the post by removing the previous comments--didn't know only the comments would be removed and the commenters names would still be there--my bad!)

I thought I would share today some Ukranian Easter Eggs, or Pysanky Eggs, that I made many years ago. Pysanky is a method of writing on an egg with beeswax and dying it in multiple colors to make intricate patterns. This special tool is called a Kistka:
Beeswax is added to the tiny cup & melted over a small (candle) flame until it flow freely out of the tiny tip. The idea is to work from light to dark so any area that you want to remain white on your egg are outlined first with wax. Then the egg is dipped into the next lightest color that you want to use, yellow for example. Then any areas that you want to remain yellow are covered with wax, and the egg is then dipped into the next darkest color. You continue on in this manner until your pattern is complete and you have dipped your egg into the last, darkest color.
The next step is to hold the egg over a candle flame to carefully melt the beeswax. Kind of a melt, wipe, melt some more mantra! Soon you will begin to see the beautiful colors and pattern emerge and voila!--you have a Pysanky egg.
Traditionally, the eggs were left intact and eventually the inside would "dry up". Well, after ruining several as the liquid inside started leaking out, I decided to carefully "blow them out". I found some very tiny, decorative bead caps which I placed over the two holes when the eggs were completely dry and it gave them a finished look. As you can see, I display them (year round) on a variety of napkin rings.
This is meant as an introduction, not really a tutorial. If you decide to try some of these yourself, there are loads of resources in your public library (Yes, I still use mine!) or the internet.
Wishing all my friends a Happy Easter, Happy Passover, and Happy Egg dying!

Have a great weekend everyone!

6 comments:

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Yeah for the repost! I can NEVER get enough of these eggs! Such intricate artwork. Well done.

Happy Easter to you and yours.

Lutka And Co. said...

Beautiful eggs! I will have to try making them one day :-)

Sunshineshelle said...

Thanks for visiting me today Debbie :) This is a cool repost, just thought I'd come on by, and I think it's great to show off these eggs as I wasn't blogging this time last year so it's all new to me anyway!!! Enjoy the day!!!!

Purple Pony Art said...

Yay! It's so great to see this. I'll have to blog about it. The black one on the left is my favourite. The navy blue one on the right is pretty unique too! I hope you had a good Easter Deb.

Kristen said...

Oh I so love the work that goes into these! Thanks for the how to but I will leave making these in your talented hands!

Melissa said...

Beautiful - I wish I was better at drawing and painting and the kind of skills that would make me good at these.

I love, love, love the idea of using napkin rings!!