Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Anatomy of a Pizza

As you can see, I did not make it back to post on Monday about my second custom order. I'll get to that another day. The pizza I made Friday night was outstanding if I do say so myself, so I am going to share it here! Here is the recipe I used for the dough (this recipe makes a very generous, thick pizza crust):
1 envelope dry yeast (I used rapid rise)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups sifted flour (I don't sift)
1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
Your choice of sauce
Oregano, basil, grated cheese

Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water & let stand 5 minutes.
In large bowl, dissolve salt in 1 cup warm water, add yeast, & 2 1/2 cups of the flour.
Stir to make a soft dough. Put remaining flour (I reserved some in case it was too much) on board, add dough & knead until it is smooth, elastic & doesn't stick to your hands.
Put in a greased bowl, cover and let rise (I wait a few hours).

Next, I sprinkle corn meal on my pizza stone (flour burns) and stretch the dough to fit. I let it rest 15 minutes or so. Above is the dough up to this point. I brushed on some olive oil with oregano & basil.

Next, I spread the sauce that has been heated up and a couple of cans of mushrooms added to it.

Top with grated cheese, shredded mozzarella (sometimes, I add some shredded cheddar) and we like sliced onions. Bake at 400 degrees until done--approximately 25-40 minutes depending on your oven. I turn my pizza a quarter turn every 10 minutes so it cooks evenly. Peek underneath, the crust should be tan & crispy. And...voila! Enjoy!

It's really not that hard--hope you'll try it!

4 comments:

Beadwright said...

OMG that looks sooooo good!!! May I have a piece? LOL
Nicole/Beadwright

Denise said...

Oh wow. this looks so good! i am going to make it this weekend! I used to make pizza's every sunday but I usually buy the frozen ball of dough but I like the idea of making my own. Thank for sharing! Yum, something to look forward to this weekend!

Sonia said...

Yumm! That looks delicious..I have a full fledged microwave oven, but never somehow thought of making my own pizza..will try this time and let you know how it turned up!!

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting- yours was the first one on that post..you are kinda lucky for me!

Raggedy Ann said...

Oh my !!! This pizza looks DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Louise in NC