Monday, November 16, 2009

The demise of the craft show

Well, I wish I could tell you that my craft show rocked, but it didn't. Yes, the attendance was very good...but I suspect most of the people came for the reasonably priced lunch and to get out of the rain. I am not taking this personally....I don't think it was just me who didn't do well, I don't think anyone had huge sales. I've been documenting my sales since I started doing craft shows in 1994, and besides the expected year to year ups and downs, there has been a sharp decline in the number of shows--at least in my area. Where I used to do 10 shows per season (Sept-Dec), I now only have 3, possibly 4.

All this has lead me to do a lot of thinking about whether this aspect, that is, craft shows, are worth it for me anymore. It seems that I have had this discussion with Mr. Moose for the last few years. I am trying to be honest with myself--it's just not worth sitting there all day to make the table fee and a few more dollars. Like in the past, however, when I try to decide to definitely, really truly give it up, I feel sad because it is what I love to do! I think this year will probably be it though :(

I have slowly begun listing my holiday themed supplies (of which I have tons!) on Ebay, so if anyone is interested, just do a "seller search" under "advanced search" for Craftymoose & take a look at what I have listed.

I still plan to continue to list on Etsy--my french beaded flower creations and other beaded items.

So tell me, do you do craft shows? How is it in your area?

No comments: