Monday, August 17, 2009

New Year, New Bat Story!

Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be telling another bat story after these three:
Call Me Bat Woman
What's in a name
Not A Halloween Story
But, I was wrong...

Our daughter had a sleep over last Thursday and she and her friend slept in the living room. Around 12:30 a.m. she wakes us up with the following: "I don't want to freak you out, but there's something in the fireplace" Now our fireplace has glass doors so I know I have a moment or two to wake up & get downstairs. Yup, if you're thinking ahead you guess it--a bat! A baby bat apparently flew down the chimney & was then of course stuck. Out come the trusty butterfly nets again. Caught it pretty much without incidence or heart attack and let it outside. The girls settle down again & husband & I go off to bed. Two hours later, we hear heavy, fast stomping up the stairs--our daughter screaming "It's ba-a-a-ack!And it's getting ou-u-u-ut" So down we go again. This time we couldn't see anyting so we duck taped a sheet over the things, duck taped the heating vents closed and told the girls to come sleep upstairs.

To make a long story short..upon inspection it either found its way back up the chimney (unlikely) or was never there. The spot where she thought she saw it getting out was a carbon deposit on the light stone of the fireplace. Can't really blame her--poor kid's been through enough bat trauma! Husband put small wire mesh over the chimney flue pipes & I filled those heat opennings with steel wool!

I'll continue with part 2 another day!

1 comment:

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

That is one sleepover those girls will never forget! :)

Thank you so very much for your warm words. Now if I could just get the dog to come out from underneath the bed and eat a little, all will be ok. :)