Friday, April 25, 2008

Dreams of the Sea




Here is what I came up with for the creative challenge of two weeks ago, curated by Jewelstreet. The challenge was to be inspired by any of the stories of the 100l Arabian Nights. Can you guess which story inspired me? If you guessed "The Seven Voyages of Sinbad" you win! Although I don't think Sinbad the Sailor actually came in contact with a giant lobster--well, he could have, right?

I'm still tweaking the base so I haven't listed it yet, but will soon.

This is a real, giant lobster claw that I spray painted with a rock finish in pinks & blue. Then I french beaded some flowers on a long wire that actually helps to anchor them inside the claw. I added some green moss because it reminded me of seaweed. At this point, I was stuck as to how I was going to get this most unusual vase to remain upright by itself.

Synchronicity played a role here once again, as I happenned at the same time to be reading Gift From The Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh, suggested by zazazu who is one of the curaters of The Artist's Way Blog that I have been participating in.
Anyway, in the book, Lindbergh is on vacation at the beach & (briefly)likens the stages of life to the shells she finds. That's where the inspiration for the shell base came from.

I took two similar size scallop shells and embedded them in a polymer clay base to which I added spirals to represent waves. The claw sits well in it, but I may add felt to the inside to protect the finish from being damaged. I may also coat the outside of the shells with a gloss varnish to make them shine a bit.

So tell me, what you think?

1 comment:

jewelstreet said...

I think this rocks! That is just the neatest idea ever. Really sensational. Brilliant is all I can say.