Friday, April 11, 2008

The Artist's Way-Week 9


I am continuing to summarize each chapter and my progress using, The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron.

I really liked this chapter, called "Recovering a Sense of Compassion". It is all about remembering how to "play nice". And, perhaps more importantly, remembering to treat ourselves nicely. It also reminds us to that fear of...(insert failure, success, criticism, and the list goes on and on) is one of the major stumbling blocks to creativity. Often mislabeled as procrastination or laziness, it is defeated by treating ourselves nicely and remembering to take small steps. Remember to play, have fun and enjoy the creative journey. Yes, the end product is rewarding, but it is the process of getting there that feeds our creative selves.

Julia also spends a lot of time exploring "Creative U-Turns". Just when we are on the edge of our first creative success, we often find an excuse to save us from the risk of having to consistently be on the same creative level. How many times have you sabotaged yourself creatively in this way? Didn't participate in the show, talked to that gallery owner, or tried to write that short story? Julia suggests that to overcome these creative U-turns we must first recognize them, forgive ourselves and learn to ask for help.

I have taken most of this advice to heart and consistently repeat in my MPs the affirmative that "I will not judge myself so harshly." This one simple phrase has made the world of difference to me.

Good Weekend everyone!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Pretty wreath Crafty :)
I agree that Week 9 has been pivotal...week 8 as well. I love your blog!

Dawn (TAW)

Gina said...

That's some beautiful beading! You've put a lot of time and thought into it. WOW!

:-) Gina

Recy Vintage & Creations said...

That wreath is amazing... looks so tedious and dainty!

Yes, I agreed with a lof of the sabotage talk in Week 9. I think we all do it and we all need to be a bit more gentle with ourselves and realize when this is happening.

Can you believe we are this far into TAW? Wow!

xo,

Karen Beth
zazazu.wordpress.com