Thursday, March 20, 2008

Happy Spring!

For happiness one needs security, but joy can spring like a flower even from the cliffs of despair.
--Anne Morrow Lindbergh


Even though it is a windy, overcast and cold day here in the Northeast, I bring to you the first sign of Spring. This is a photo of some plants we have in containers on our back porch--they have been in my husband's family since the 1950s! Unfortunately, he doesn't know the name of the plant--if anyone does please let me know.

These are the hardiest plants we have-we don't take them in for the winter--I do let the leaves that fall remain in the pots to provide some warmth, but I suspect it is my mother's instinct that seeks to protect & nurture them, and they would be fine on their own. They grow slowly to maturity and finally bloom with small, delicate purple flowers in August. Over the course of the next several months, I will hopefully remember to take some progress photos!

Happy Spring!

4 comments:

Recy Vintage & Creations said...

What a great photo! I don't know the name of the plant although it looks like some sort of succulent. Neat though!

Love the Lindbergh quote. Have you read Gift From the Sea? I've always wanted to read it.

xo,

KB :)

Sarah said...

I love these kinds of photos. Signs of Spring fill my heart with a nice warm feeling-like Whiskey, only healthier. Thank you so much for sharing this. Happy Spring to you to! may it bring all the growth you need, into your life.

namaste
Sare-Bear
(fellow TAWer)

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Thank you both for your comments. The plant is very reminiscent of a succulent--I'll have to do some internet research. I just love that it has survived so long.

KB-I haven't read "Gift From the Sea" yet, but it is on my list. Currently, I am halfway through "The Time Traveler's Wife".

Amy said...

Great pic --could it be hen and chicks? Here is a link to a description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hen_and_chicks

And do read "Gift From the Sea" -- it's a wonderful book!