Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Artist's Way-Week 7


"When a painter is painting, he or she may bein with a plan, but that plan is soon surrendered to the painting's own plan. This is often expressed as "The brush takes the next stroke."-Julia Cameron in The Artist's Way.

This week's chapter focus on recovering a sense of connection. The first main concept explored is Listening. Learning to listen to the ideas floating just below our consciousness. Julia Cameron tells us that we are honing this skill with our morning pages and artist dates. If it seems hard to believe that we are openning our minds to new inspiration by emptying our minds and doing fun things, well I'm right there with you. But, this morning, as I began exploring in my MPs the idea that they are not doing anything for me, lo and behold, not one but two ideas popped onto the page. It is like someone was yelling at me...."Oh YES THEY ARE!" Not everything needs to be concrete to work.

It is also important to learn to listen to syncronicity-the little voice of coincidence that happens in life. As I began painting last week in my oil painting class, I was dismayed that the painting was not coming out the way I saw it in my mind's eye. I commented (I thought)under my breath, "This is not coming out the way I planned." The person next to me heard me and said, "Next time, don't plan!"

2 comments:

Gina said...

LOL! remember that saying, "life is what happens when you're planning something else" ?

I often feel like the MP are wasted time, until I look back at the week before and recognize THIS week's connection to them.

:-)Gina

DMProductionandSales said...

I like your blog and your work. It is very interesting. You might consider getting a Free Listing for both your Blog and your store in The Hand Made Product Directory
http://www.dmpmc.net/THMD
To increase its visibility.