Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Artist's Way-Week 5

"Look and you will find it--what is unsought will go undetected."-Sophocles

I haven't been much of a blogger lately...mostly because I have been trying to concentrate on The Artist's Way program and being creative. I can't believe it is week 5 already--and that I have been able to stick with it. (Only 7 more weeks to go!)

This week is called "Recovering a Sense of Possibility" and it has been an eye-opener already! We are asked to look at how you limit yourself by thinking there is a limit to what we can receive and what we deserve. According to the author, "Recovery is the process of finding the river and saying yes to its flow, rapids and all." Be open to new possibilities--don't say no, at the least entertain the thought and say maybe.

Is this you?...Do you "make nice"? Do you worry about everyone else need's first, forsaking your own? Are you afraid that if you pursue your art that you will appear selfish? Beware the self-destructive virtue trap that many artists fall into. Aimed at identifying this behavior this chapter helps us realize that this is yet another way we block our creativity ourselves.

I had the opportunity in the past to take oil painting lessons. The painting above was one of my latest efforts. I knew this class would be offered again, and I signed up again because I enjoyed it so much. I wished the classes were longer. In a moment of synchronicity..the same instructor decided to teach another class (different day, different location), and I decided to take that one, too. Synchronicity, too, that this was the chapter for this week, because I almost did not take it thinking it was too much time away from home/family. Silly me!

I think I just may be getting somewhere!

4 comments:

Steph said...

Oh dear! I was supposed to be participating in this. I have the book and the workbook and I started reading them both two weeks ago. Where did I put them?
Good for you, sticking with it for so long!

Synchronicty is part of it, isn't it - recognizing moments of synchronicity and responding top them?

Recy Vintage & Creations said...

That painting is amazing! You are so wildly talented! Keep after it!

Gina said...

I love this painting! what fun!
:-) Gina

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Thanks for the comments--I had so much fun doing this painting!