Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Artist's Way-Week 4


One of the hardest tasks this week is "Reading Deprivation". What is that you ask? Simple...you spend the week doing no reading-no books, magazines, newspapers, and you are especially wary not to replace it with computer, TV, radio, blog reading,etc. As Julia Cameron says in her book, "It is a paradox that by emptying our lives of distractions, we are actually filling the well" (of creativity). The gist of this being that sooner or later you will run out of housework, laundry & other real or manufactured chores you have to do & will be forced to play & have fun!

Easier said than done! As an avid reader, I am finding this almost impossible! (Here come my excuses & justifications!) Since I am spending a good part of each day being creative, I am allowing myself to read while eating lunch and when I finally sit down for a few hours after dinner. Another reason for this is that I am reading a book my daughter read in high school & she wanted me to read--we are enjoying discussing it.
Do you think you could manage to do this?

I dusted off the watercolors this week & created the above aceo. It is a piece I created for Jewelstreet's creative challenge on Etsy. The morning pages were instrumental in helping me come up with an idea using the word "pebble" as inspiration. I kept writing it over & over along with anything that came to mind & I eventually thought of bumps which I gave the frog with dimensional paint. It is listed in my Etsy shop.

Have a great day!