Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Here's a tip for you!

I just learned a little tip and thought I would pass it along. I discovered this as a result of doing morning pages for The Artist's Way course. The first thing I discovered is how helpful it is to write everything down. It clears the mind of the small things and opens it up to creative ideas. I figured if it works for that it would work for designing also...

If you know the subject you want to work with, but are stuck for ideas, write it down and just brainstorm. Here's my example: Alaska-I thought of glaciers, mountains, salmon, bears, eagles, totem poles, button robes--there were many more, but you get the idea! Somewhere in there, I know is a creative idea. You can further break this idea down--say you want to work with glaciers: cold, massive, the deep aqua blue of the ice being so dense, the cracking sound they make when huge chunks calf off.

You can apply this same thing to materials. For example, think, "What can I do with feathers?" Trust me, the ideas will flow out. The more you do this, the better it seems to work.

All these ideas will train your mind to "wander" onto something the previous thing made you think of. I can't stress enough how helpful it is to write these ramblings down! I hope I've explained this clearly!

Happy Creating!

7 comments:

jewelstreet said...

I do that all the time especially with the challenges. I say the word outloud then write down all the things my mind thinks of even if it doesn't make sense at first. I usually always come up with an idea from it.

gilfling said...

I have loved reading about your ventures with 'The artist's way'. I can completely relate to all that you say about doubting yourself and most of your 'dream lives' are mine too! I have been writing in my sketchbook journal for a while now and really find it helps and the more I do it the better it gets. When I am in need of inspiration it motivates me and when my brain is fit to bursting with ideas it makes sure I store all my thoughts away to work on when I have time.

I am looking forward to seeing your development with it - I am hoping to join in as a late starter this week just as soon as I can get hold of the book!

Have a great week

Sarah said...

Brainstorming is a huge part of my creative process, especially when it comes to my writing. I find that whatever product I'm working on, it always turns out ten times better when it is the result of a creative brainstorming sesh...

Recy Vintage & Creations said...

I love that you are getting so much from your pages, Crafty, and that you share so much of what you get from them here! You relay it so well and you seem to have so much excitement and enthusiasm about it all! THANK YOU!

Yes, I know what you mean about writing out a question about a project or idea and then just letting the ideas flow. This is such a great way to brainstorm. I think you explained it perfectly and I'm so glad you brought it up.

Happy creating to you too! What are you currently working on??

xo,

Karen Beth :)
zazazu.wordpress.com

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Thank you for all your comments! I am glad that I seem to be on the right track--that is, if all the beautiful, successful shop designers that made comments here already do what I just discovered--then I'm onto something good!

LOL, Karen Beth--I'm sporadically painting some birdhouses but since it is too cold to spray a protective coat-they won't be ready till Spring. My high school daughter is off this week which makes getting large blocks of time to myself hard--but I just accept this. Next week will be freer!

Ivan said...

Sorry. Look please here

Jason said...

I'm finding my morning pages are pointing me to problems that prevent me from being creative. Like doing too much.

Thanks for the comment on my blog BTW