Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Creative Challenge #84


Well, it has been awhile since I have talked about the Creative Challenge on Etsy. For anyone not familiar with this, you can read more about it, here.

So, this week's challenge was to be inspired by India. At first I thought this was the hardest thing I ever had to think about. I have to admit I cheated a bit and "googled" India to see what I came up with. As anyone knows, there is a wealth of information on the net.

Take for instance, the emblem of India, shown above. Now, I recognized this image having seen it may times as a stamp collector. When I read the description, I realized how little of it I actually saw! Borrowed from theholidayspot.com/Indian Emblem, "It features 3 lions and the 4th being hidden from the view. The wheel appears in relief in the center of the abacus with a bull on the right and a horse on the left and the outlines of the other wheels on the extreme right and left. Inscribed below the abacus in Devnagari script is: "Satyameva Jayate", meaning, 'Truth Alone Triumphs'. This is a quote from Mundaka Upanishad, the concluding part of the Vedas.

The four lions (the 4th being hidden from view) - symbolize power, courage and confidence rest on a circular abacus. The abacus is girded by four smaller animals - guardians of the four directions: the lion of the north, the elephant of the east, the horse of the south and the bull of the west. The abacus rests on a lotus in full bloom, exemplifying the fountainhead of life."

Totally interesting, but it still didn't give me my challenge project idea. A little more digging did, however. I discovered...
The National Bird is: the Peacock
The National Animal is: the Tiger
The National Flower is: the Lotus or Waterlily

Can you guess which one inspired me? Stay tuned to find out!

2 comments:

jewelstreet said...

Very interesting. You should post that in the thread.

I might have to do another project now.

Elements by Dawn said...

I'm pullin' for the peacock...but no matter what you choose, I know it will be wonderful!