Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Artist's Way-Week 2 Continued


"More than anything else, creative recovery is an exercise in open-mindedness"-Julia Cameron in The Artist's Way.

Each week, I am trying to pull a quote from the book and talk about it.

So what is open-mindedness? To me it is so many things; the main ones being: paying attention especially to your surroundings and perhaps the more obvious, being nonjudgemental.

I am trying to slow down my pace in life. How often I seem to being going from point A to point B without remembering to enjoy the journey. It is very indescriminate; it happens when I'm driving somewhere, when I'm doing everyday things, and when I'm crafting. I tend to rush through the means to get to the end! If I am to "fill my well", that is, to replenish my creative reservoir, then I must teach myself to pay more attention even when I am doing something I've done 100 times before. To really see what is around me.

Being nonjudgemental requires acceptance-that not everyone is the same or sees things the same way, patience with differing opinions and ideas, and practice to teach ourselves to be accepting. It includes being nonjudgemental with ourselves which is often the hardest thing to do. I am so much more critical of my own work! But, as I always say, realizing or identifying the problem is half the battle, and I am trying to not be so hard on myself.

Stay tuned for Week 3!

2 comments:

Recy Vintage & Creations said...

I love your discussion of one line from each chapter. I agree that being open-minded is so much about paying attention. Great post and good on you for trying to not be so hard on yourself. It is a struggle for so many of us and something that we all need to work on!

Happy Week 3!!

xo,

Karen Beth :)

Sarah said...

I wish you the best of luck and synchronicity in opening your mind, and becoming mindful of each moment.

Namaste