Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Artist's Way, continued...

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."-Joseph Chilton Pearce.

One of the worst enemies of my creative self-worth is a lack of trust in my abilities & ideas. Whenever I am painting or crafting, I am so sure that I won't know how to do something or it won't look recognizable, that I sometimes follow step by step how-to. Before anyone starts yelling about copyright infringement--that is not what I am talking about. I'm saying if I want to paint a sunflower, I have to look at a picture of a real one. Or, I have to learn a technique before I can attempt something. I never trust myself to just do it! I've been taking some oil painting classes & even there I feel the constant struggle to be perfect. As my 84 year old Dutch teacher tries to free me up to paint more abstractly, I strive to sharpen the lines and make everything look right and recognizable.

This frustrates me because I can remember being another way. I can remember when I never imagined something would turn out wrong. I can remember when I would just make something "from scratch" right out of my imagination.

As I continue along with The Artist's Way, I hope I can lose this fear of being wrong and gain some trust in my creativity in the process. I feel I have taken the first step by just recognizing it!

2 comments:

Recy Vintage & Creations said...

I can really identify with this. I too am terrified of being a beginner. I want to start out as a perfectionist but the logical side of me knows that can't happen. I really hope that TAW journey will allow me to be okay with starting out as a beginner.

Great post!

Karen Beth :)

Malabei said...

See here